A Current Flight Home

trigger warning for domestic abuse

'the truth is still the truth, even if no one believes it. a lie is still a lie, even if everyone believes it'

*****

It was odd being back on the same flight to go to my 'home'.

Last time, ironically, I was on this flight it was coming home from breaking up with Harry, or whatever you would want to call it. It was a weird feeling now having him by my side.

I was nervous, but I wasn't going to admit that to anybody. Especially considering it was a split-second decision to come back here to sort out family issues. I wasn't going to back out of this, considering how my so-called 'mother' treated me for my whole childhood after my dad died.

Was he even my dad?

'Hey, you ok?' Harry's soft voice next to me snapped me out of my thoughts.

He wipes away the tear that had fallen onto my cheek, looking concerned. I hadn't even noticed that I was crying. 'What if my dad wasn't my dad?' I breathe out.

'I mean, you haven't spoken much about your family to me, to be honest...Was he a good guy?' Harry asks and I nod, finally making eye contact with him.

'The best...Gave me everything I needed. I was definitely like him as a child. We were both stubborn as hell...Well, that's what my m- Andrea, said. She meant it as an insult but now, I like it...' my voice trails off as he pulls my head into his lap, the armrest being already pushed up.

'At least you'll have some answers. That's all you want anyway, right?' I nod as he strokes his hand through my hair.

My eyes felt heavy, unsure whether it was the lack of sleep or uneasiness that was laying in the pit of my stomach. His finger reached my scalp, being the last thing I remember before falling asleep in his lap.

The rubbing of my shoulder and the faint 'baby' from Harry woke me from my sleep. I looked up at the fuzzled moving image on the screen in front of us, I knew that movie anywhere. 'We're about to land, gotta sit up now' he rubs, my arm one more time before I sit up and grab the other headphone.

'Why are you watching This Is Us?' I ask, buckling my seatbelt and pulling the armrest down.

'Supporting my narcism. No, uh, I don't know. Miss them. Miss performing...' I nod, resting my head on his shoulder as my stomach drops as the plane does too.

My hand was shaking as I knocked on the door, Harry's hand on my lower back as a sign of encouragement. I was finally seeing my mum for the first time in a couple of years.

'Who the fuck are you? Evan! What the hell is your side chick here for?' a tall blonde opens the door, I'm assuming in my brother Evan's girlfriend.

'Uh, I'm his sister...' I try to correct but she scoffs.

'His sister is in America, she left- Holy shit you're Harry Styles' her mouth drops open as Harry moves from behind me and I turn to him.'Holy shit, I am so sorry. I'm Thalia' she goes to shake his hand but he looks back at me.

'Uh, is Evan inside?' I ask as Harry presses a kiss to the side of my head.

'Um, yeah. I'll head off. Have a good day!' Thalia grabs her bag before we go inside to a very confused Evan.

'Ciara?'

'Uh, hi. Can we talk?' I ask nervously.

Maybe he didn't want to talk at all.

'What about?' he asked, all three of us just standing in the lounge room awkwardly.

'Mum...I'm adopted and I need to know more...'

'Well, she's not here but uh...She's been out and about with a lot of people, I don't exactly know but um, we can talk if you want' he glances over to Harry and it occurred to me that I should introduce them.

'Uh, Evan, this is Harry, my boyfriend. Harry, my brother Evan' they shake hands with a smile before we all take a seat on the couches. 'What kind of people Evan? I'm sorry if I'm coming off strong, I just really need to know what else she's been hiding and-'

'Drugs. She's turned your room into her hideout. Smoking, drinking, it's every day. That half of the house smells like meth so I mostly sleep on these' he pats the couch and I sigh.

'And what's the result of this? People coming over? Forcing you to help? Does-'

'She hits me. I have a 5pm curfew even when my tutor on Thursday finishes at 4:45...' he suddenly opens up and I sigh, knowing it would be overwhelming for him.

'Um, Evan. You don't have to talk about it any more. We can watch a movie before she gets home and uh, you can come to stay with us if you want...' I offer and he lets out a shaky breath.

'Um, y-yeah that sounds good' he nods and I lean over to the table to turn the TV on.

'I swear to god Evan if the dishes aren't done!' we hear a loud woman's voice come from outside and Evan quickly jumps up to go to his room.

'Evan. She's not gonna hurt you, we're here' Harry reassures him sweetly.

Evan nods and we both stand up as she bursts through the door.

'Ciara? Baby! You're here!' she drops her bags to embrace me in a hug but I step away and her face falls. 'I guess Evan's told you everything I've done since I am such a horrible mother!' her attitude changes.

'Tell me everything and then I'm leaving. I'm taking Evan with me' I state, holding my persistence and she shakes her head.

'Absolutely not. You cannot take my own child away from me'

'Either that or we're calling child services. I'm sure they would love to learn about your drug and alcohol problem as well as abusing your son' Harry speaks up and Andrea shoots dangers at him.

'And who might you be?' she steps towards Harry, pointing her finger at him.

'I'm Harry, Ciara's boyfriend'

'Oh, finally you managed you get one. I'm sorry for your loss Harry, you can do better'

'I'm very happy actually. Thank you. I think you owe Ciara an explanation' Harry interlocks our fingers as I bite my tongue not to fight back to her.

'I adopted you at 2, your mother never really loved you so I did. I really have no recollection of it to be honest' she blabbers.

'Is that all I'm getting?' I ask but she shrugs.

I nod and turn to Evan, grabbing his backpack, 'You ready?'

He nods timidly before I turn to Andrea, 'You were the worst so-called mum, I could ever ask for' we all silently walk past her and out the door.

Evan closes the door but I don't turn back even after hearing the glass of a vase shatter against the door.

*****
ty ty ty ty for 10k reads wtaf.
i know i don't update on this story frequently and I'm definitely not the best writer but i appreciate you all for still reading when it does get updated.

currently getting through year 12 so i'll write and update when I can.

hugs and kisses xxx