A New Pick Up

'a deep conversation is all i want from you. i want the words you're afraid to say- the lonely ones you keep hidden in between the folds of your heart'

*****

Harry Styles

I lead the way up the stairs of the building, upstairs to the small cafe as she followed me for our 10-minute break before she had to leave. I grab a mug, putting it under the coffee machine and then pressing 'Flat White'. I look over to see her confused as I grab another cup and filling it with hot water. 'I thought you didn't drink coffee?' she asks and I shake my head.

Does she really think I wouldn't know that she has a Flat White with 3 bloody sugars?

'Oh, um, no. I don't. It's for you. Three sugars, right?' I double-check as she nods and I look down to the beeping on the coffee machine being done.

'Thank you' she mumbles as I give her the hot cup of coffee along with the sugars in her other hand. We both walk to a free table, sitting down opposite to her. 'So, ideas for your new song huh?'

I suddenly get quite nervous telling her about my ideas. I knew sooner or later I was going to have to tell her about my past relationships and how they're inspiring my songs so I guess I was choosing sooner. 'Uh, yeah. I recently went through a breakup...Um, 6, 7 months ago? I've got a lot of inspiration from that I guess'

'Right, yeah. Sorry for bringing it up..I- I didn't know' she apologises but I shake my head, breaking into a smile.

One thing that bothered me about this girl was she apologized for literally anything and everything. Even when things weren't her fault. I used to be like that but she's got to learn that she should never be sorry for being curious.

'You always apologize for everything that you don't need to' I smile up at her, yet her confused look still stared back at me.

'What do you mean?' she questions and I run my hand through my knotted hair.

'For example, when we first came up here, you literally apologized for touching my hand when we were getting sugar at the same time' I explain with a smile as she looks down with embarrassment. 'It's nothing to be ashamed of, you just gotta, know your worth. You're worth a lot more than you think' she smiles up at me, lifting her head to blow on her coffee.

'Thank you' she says, just loud enough for me to hear.

'So. How do you get to work every day? Like, have you rented a car or public transport?' I ask, actually quite curious but she shakes her head.

'Um, no. I um, take an Uber every day' she responds and I did all I could for my jaw not to drop.

'Every day?' my shock showing in my voice going higher in surprise.

'Every day.' she states as if it was a completely normal thing.

'To and back from work?' I ask again, making sure I was getting the right idea.

'To and back from work. It usually costs around, I don't know...$50? A day' she just shrugs but now I couldn't help but my jaw drops and I put my tea down.

'$50?- Um, no. I'll pick you up from now on. You're wasting so much money, Ciara. And you don't get paid for this job.' I immediately blurt out, not thinking it through but I guess that's what I was doing now.

'Oh, no, no. It's fine trust me. I'm fine with it' she tries to stop my idea but I shake my head.

'I'll pick you up and drive you home. Please. You have things to pay for, like food and stuff' I look right into her deep brown eyes and she finally sighs, meaning I had won