A New Ride

'it's amazing how one little conversation can change things forever'

*****

I followed Harry up the stairs of the building, upstairs to the small cafe for our 10-minute break we got before having to go back to my reception job. I watch him as he grabs a mug, putting it under the coffee machine and then pressing 'Flat White'. I furrow my brows as he looks at me, grabbing another cup and then filling it with hot water. 'I thought you didn't drink coffee?' I ask and he shakes his head.

'Oh, um, no. I don't. It's for you. Three sugars, right?' he asks and I nod, trying to hide my blush that was appearing on my cheeks.

'Thank you' I say as he passes me the hot cup of coffee with the sugars and we walk to a free table to sit down. 'So, ideas for your new song huh?'

His mood changed slightly as he played with his teabag. 'Uh, yeah. I recently went through a breakup...Um, 6, 7 months ago? I've got a lot of inspiration from that I guess' he mumbles and I instantly fell guilty bringing the topic up.

'Right, yeah. Sorry for bringing it up..I- I didn't know' I apologise as he shakes his head with a smile.

'You always apologize for everything that you don't need to' he breaks into a smile while looking at me, almost finding my confusion and apology amusing.

'What do you mean?' I ask and he runs his hand through his hair.

'For example, when we first came up here, you literally apologized for touching my hand when we were getting sugar at the same time' he explains and I instantly blush and look down. 'It's nothing to be ashamed of, you just gotta, know your worth. You're worth a lot more than you think' he nods and I smile at him before blowing on my coffee.

'Thank you' I almost whisper as he takes a sip of his tea.

'So. How do you get to work every day? Like, have you rented a car or public transport?' he asks and I shake my head.

'Um, no. I um, take an Uber everyday'

'Every day?' his eyebrows raise in surprise

'Every day.'

'To and back from work?' he asks again, his eyebrows staying where they were, in shock

'To and back from work. It usually costs around, I don't know...$50? A day' I shrug and Harry immediately puts his tea down.

'$50?- Um, no. I'll pick you up from now on. You're wasting so much money, Ciara. And you don't get paid for this job.'

'Oh, no, no. It's fine trust me. I'm fine with it' I reassure him but he's not giving it the time of day.

'I'll pick you up and drive you home. Please. You have things to pay for, like food and stuff' he pleads and I sigh.

'Well, what if I'm in a day that you're not working? That's a pointless drive here' I try to reason with him but he shrugs anyways.

'I control my work schedule. I'll make it work. Please' I sigh as he gives me puppy eyes.

I finally nod and give in before he smiles approvingly and then puts his hand out. I put my cup of coffee down, smacking his hand with mine, leading him to let out a big laugh.

'I want your phone, not a high five dumbass' he laughs and I throw my head into my hands embarrassed.

He continues to laugh before I join in and reach into my pocket. I unlock my phone and hand it to him before he opens contacts and makes a new one for him.