A New Timezone

'perspective; a particular attitude towards or way of regarding something. a point of view.'

*****

It was soon enough that Jasmine had talked me through where the recording studios were as well as the alarm system. I wasn't going to be opening or locking the facilities up but it didn't hurt to know what to do if someone forgot to turn it on.

She gave a quick rundown on my shifts. Always arrive 15 minutes early, like today, and I will usually get a 30-minute lunch break where I can go to the upstairs coffee station.

If someone were to come to reception, they will have a card for me to scan to confirm their identity and then I would go to their studio to unlock it for them. It was both Jasmine and I working side by side so we always had someone at the desk if one of us went to unlock a studio or writing room.

They were very professionally set out. The full recording set up with all the red and green buttons as well as 2 or 3 microphones set up behind the glass window where all the singers would stand to record. A couple of couches sat around the studio, making it very comfortable are, something very soothing about the space.

'Hi, do you have your card?' I ask a tall dirty blonde who held a guitar bag over his left shoulder.

He smiled and handed me his ID, I scan it under the light, it buzzing green and then his information popping up on the screen in front of me. 'OK James, so you will be in..Studio 19' I say and hand his ID back.

I tap Jasmine's shoulder and she nods as I let her know that I was unlocking a studio as she was dealing with someone with a fake ID. I grab the key's off the hook saying 'Studio 19' and walk out of the receptionist, James following behind me on his phone.

I learnt very quickly that if people are on their phone and you're showing them where the studio is, they usually aren't the talkative people so I knew to stay quiet. Before approaching the elevator, I stood a meter away from him, the numbers on the small screen counting down as it approaching ground floor. We step in and I press level 2 before the doors close and the elevator starts to go up.

We hear a ding as the silver doors open again, revealing a hallway of doors with numbers from 11- 20. I walk up the door 19, clicking the key into the lock and pushing it open to reveal the empty space. I turn on the lights as James sets his guitar on the couch, sitting next to it. 'Um, so, are you waiting for the rest of your team?' I ask, not really wanting to leave him all alone in the room but he seemed pretty comfortable.

'Uh, yeah. They'll be here in 5' he mumbles before unzipping his guitar case.

'OK, well, is there anything you need?' I needed to ask that, as much as it pained me because it was so fucking awkward.

He shakes his head and I nod before walking out of the room, closing the door behind me and then heading down to the elevator. As I saw it was at level 6, I sighed and turned to the stairs. I was not waiting that long.

I arrived back at the reception, quite out of breath to see more people had gathered around, yet, Jasmine was still dealing with the same man. This was a little overwhelming for my first day but my first shift was done in 1 hour so I could manage. 'Uh, Ciara, can you sort out these boys?' she asks and I look up to see boys holding guitars.

'The 1975' one smiles and my heart dropped as he hands their ID card.

I nod and scan it quickly, wanting this encounter to be over already. I wasn't a massive fan but their song 'Be My Mistake' was my go-to crying song and the songs really hit home sometimes. Their ID popped up and I grabbed the keys from Studio 5.