A New Offer

'opportunities are usually disguised as hard work so most people don't recognise them'

*****

'Ciara Bird. Graduating class of 2019 for Screen and Media Production' I take a deep breath in as I step up the stairs, walking towards my professor who held out my scroll. 

I shake her hand and smile to myself as I look out to the audience and I see both Savannah and my boyfriend, Haydan, cheering for me. I take a small bow before walking off her stage and back into the seats next to my fellow graduates.

Haydan and I had been dating for 2 months now and we met on campus. He graduated last year with Major in Creative Writing and he was walking around campus while dropping off some old textbooks when we met in the line at the smoothie place. We instantly hit it off, exchanging phone numbers that day and ever since then, we hadn't stopped talking. 

'We ask that the class of 2019 of Creative Arts and Media please stand' we all stand, turning around to the audience as we practised in our rehearsal graduation. I smile at the ground as Haydan gives me a subtle wink and then at smile as Savannah was the only one clapping in the audience. 'Congratulations students' 

Applause erupts from the audience as we all throw our caps into the air and then making our way of the seats to go see our family and friends. Savannah was already waiting at the end of my row for me as he embraced me in a hug. 'Congratulations graduate' she smiles and I sigh.

'Finally done. This feels weird' she chuckles as I look around, 'Where did Haydan go?' I ask and she looks around with me.

'I don't know...I guess I lost him in the crowd- Oh, there he is' she points to his blonde curtained hair laughing with another graduate of my class. 

'OK, I'll be right back. Meet you at the back?' I smile and she nods as we walk separate directions. 

'Yeah, so like, that's so cool. Yeah, I graduated last year so it's been a quiet year but I would love to hang out sometime' his voice becomes more clear as I approach them, his back facing me.

'Yeah, I would love to get to know you' the girl flirts back as my heart drops more.

I clear my throat, making both of their eyes snap to mine, his dropping his he sees me. 'Um, I'll see you' he says to the girl before approaching me.  'Hey'

I stay silent, hoping he would explain what that was. 'It's not what it looks like Ciara, I swear' his voice was calm but I didn't buy it.

'That's the third time I've caught you be like that with another girl and every time 'it's not what it looks like' and I'm sick of it. If you don't want to be in this relationship, tell me and I'll walk'

He is now the one staying silent as I sigh before pecking his cheek with a kiss. 'Goodbye Haydan, have fun with her' I walk back to Savannah who was on her phone, laughing at a random video.

'Hey, let's go- Wait, where's Haydan' she asks, her face dropping when she sees how down I was.

'Finding his own way home. Probably by the girl he was hitting up at my own graduation. Let's go' I say bluntly, walking towards the car.

'Oh, honey. I'm so sorry. So you're done?' I nod as I open the passenger seat, 'If I'm being honest, my best friend instinct never liked him' she shrugs as she starts the car.

'I should've dumped him the first time it happened. 3 times is too many. I saw the signs and ignored them. We were so toxic' I look out the window as Savannah stays silent. 'I never told you but we were constantly fighting about the stupidest things. Like, what was I going to wear to the club and when he found out about Harry, it blew the fuse'