A New Moment in Time

'and i'm still thinking back to, the time under the canyon moon'

*****

Ciara Bird

He made me promise him that I was ok and once I did that, he left.

If I was being honest, his hug was comforting. I didn't want him to leave. I could sit there all night in his arms until the sun rose and it was time for him to take me to work the next day.

I knew I had to go to work today but I was praying that Harry wouldn't bring up the topic of what happened last night. I didn't want to talk about it.

I did up my brown belt that hung through my mom jeans. My mustard yellow top was tucked into them as I clipped my usual golden chains around my neck. I grabbed my bag at exactly 8:30, my phone buzzing at the same time.

He was always right on time.

I climbed into the passenger seat, greeted by his smile which I reciprocated. 'Hi' I breathe out, getting lost in his eyes that weren't leaving mine.

'Seatbelt missy' I chuckle before clicking it in and he pulled away from the curb. 'OK, new question. Hmm, why did you choose music as a career? I mean, I'm assuming you want to pursue that' he carries on like last night didn't happen.

I sigh with relief before thinking, looking out the window. 'I want to go into music production...But yeah, I mean, music was the one thing that stuck around when I felt like everyone else was leaving me. Some days I need the music, other days, I need the lyrics. Good music never grows old and I think that's a passion that anyone can explore' he nods at my answer, slightly pouting his lips in agreeance. 'OK, my question; favourite memory from home. Or... what do you look most forward to doing when you go home to London?'

'Um, ok, let me tell you a story. Gemma, my sister, and all our cousins when we were younger would have this massive fire pit out the back. When we had family gatherings, we would all light it, you know, sit around and talk. When I was around 12, maybe, I don't know. I realised we would always seem to have it every month, on a full moon. Coincidently, when the boys and I went on tour, we went to Arizona, and we saw the Grand Canyon, like any tourist. Well, that night was a full moon.'

He explains his story, keeping his eyes on the road but my eyes never left watching him talk. There's something so different about watching someone talk about something they are passionate about. 'It obviously instantly brought me back memories of home so I quickly took a picture and sent it to my mom which she did the same of their full moon. I missed them so much so when I come home from a break, I always make sure that I'm home for a full moon. Mom calls it a canyon moon from that memory of me sending her the picture but, it's really only a canyon moon if you're at The Great Canyon, right?'

'I mean, you can call it whatever you want Harry' I shrug and he smiles.

'Canyon Moon it is' he chuckles, quickly pulling up the building.

We walk into the building but before I could enter the reception his hand latched onto mine, 'No, no, you're with me today. You're mine to keep today' he smirks before I roll my eyes.

'Well, I kinda need the key to get into the studio, don't I?' I smirk back before he breaks into a smile, letting go of my hand so I could reach to get the key.

I assumed Jasmine knew that I was going with Harry as she kept on her phone, giving me a quick wave without eye contact before I walked away with Harry. 'You know, you're stealing me away from my real job'

He shrugs, careless and being selfish as I unlock the door. He practically skips into the recording booth, taking a seat next to the drum set, me following him and sitting next to him. 'OK, do your thing?'