Chapter 8

Evelyns POV:

The rest of the day had gone by slowly, we had to finish unpacking but at the end of the day we were all done. We decided to go out for diner so we could get to know the town a bit better.

We arrived at a small little diner. It was a combination of a cafe and a diner. It honestly looked like something out of a movie.

We entered the place and I was awestruck. It had booths trailing the sides of the diner. There was a countertop that held many scrumptious treats. The smell was just heavenly. I could stay here forever. When we entered a small little bell rang our arrival. A petite elderly woman came towards us. We assumed that she was the owner.

"Why hello my sweet little sugarplums! I haven't seen you guys around here before. Now, you must be starving. Sit down, sit down, I will get my special recipe called right up" said her chirpy little voice. I just wanted to melt. We thanked the lady who we found out everyone calls Granny Jones. We then sat down in a booth near the back because it was slightly crowded.

Suddenly I heard the bell ring again signalling someone arrival. I tried to look and see who it was but could because I was sitting on the inside of the booth and Adams head was blocking the entrance. The person seemed to know Granny Jones because when she saw them she immediately perked up.

A waiter brought out our food and we thanked him. We looked at the dish and saw that it was a warm chicken noodle soup with a side of toasted bread. We immediately dug right in and let me tell you that it tasted amazing.

"Well hello princess, fancy seeing you here" I hear the same cocky voice say. I look up and almost choke on my soup, standing at our booth was no other than Ryder Esposito. He then looked around my table and sent a glare towards Adam.

"This your boyfriend?" He said with a scoff pointing towards Adam. This time I actually choke on my bread. Blake has to pat my back multiple times to get it out.

"No I'm not her boyfriend but I am her brother, actually all three of us are her brothers. And who might you be. Hmm" Adam says, starting his overprotective brother act.

"Why don't you tell them princess" Ryder says giving me a sly smile. I grumble and cross my arms.

"He's our neighbor" I mutter out.

"And" Ryder says while cupping his ear. I roll my eyes and sigh.

"And his rooms window is right across from mine" I say. This causes my brothers jaws to clench.

"Oh how wonderful! Why don't you and your family come by tomorrow night for a dinner at our house. It would be nice to know someone in the town." My mom says already beaming. All of my brothers were glaring at Ryder and he was just smirking back.

A few hours later

I was in bed about to go to sleep when I heard a loud bang on my window. I let out an internal scream, THATS IT IM GONNA DIE. I HONESTLY THOUGT I HAD A BIT MORE TIME. I get out of bed and shiver as my feet pat on the floor. I reach the window and swing open my curtains. There stood Ryder Black in all his glory.

"What the hell are you doing here at 1:00 am in the morning." I say while opening the window.

"Why? I just wanted to wish my treehouse buddy a good morning." He says with a fake pout.

"Listen here buddy, you can talk to be after the clock strikes 8. Right now Evelyn De La Cruz is closed for business" I say will attempting to close my window.

"Please just come outside for 5 minutes." He pleaded. And Ryder does not look like someone that begs. So I complied and hopped out of my window. We both sat down in the treehouse and looked out into the stars.

"You know, you don't really look like a fun person." He says to me. I scoff.

"If you brought me here to make fun me please do or another time. I'm going back." I say a bit frustrated.

"Wait" he grabs my wrist and pulls me closer to him and for some reason I find it comforting. He wraps one arm around me and another in his pocket to get something. He then take out a slingshot and some gum. He puts some gum in his mouth and chews on it. He then takes it out and puts it in the slingshot. He starts it up and flings the gum across the treehouse and onto our other neighbors house. He then lets out a little snigger.

"Now why would you do that" I say with a sigh.

"Oh come on, live a little. You can't tell me that that wasn't amusing to watch. Here you do it."

At first I was reluctant but than I just sighed and put a piece of gum in my mouth. I chewed and chewed until it was formed into a ball and put it on the slingshot. I pulled the end back and watched as it soar through our yard and onto the neighbors property. I let out a tiny giggle. We continue to do this for a while until we get bored. By the end we were both in hysterics.

"This was so much fun" I say.

"I told you" he says while wiggling his eyebrows. I roll my eyes and look out.

"I know you have come from a tough past because I was just like you at a certain point in my life but then I understood how to look past it and have fun. I understood how to enjoy life. I know you may not trust me now but I will always just be one window away if you want to talk." He says while looking at me with a different look in his eyes. One that I couldn't quite understand.

"I'll see you tomorrow for dinner princess" he says while standing up and kissing my cheek. This left me blushing like mad. It's a good thing that it was dark and that he couldn't see me.

"Good night Ryder"

"Good night my princess"