Chapter 9

Evelyns POV:

I can't believe it's the day of the dinner. All my brothers were reluctant to have Ryder and his family over but with one of moms famous glares they shut up real quick.

I don't want to see that asshole because he'll probably embarrass me even further but I gotta do it for mom.

"EVELYN ARE YOU READY YET" yelled my mom.

"ALMOST" I yell back.

My mom had gone all out for the dinner, she wanted everything to be perfect.

I sigh as I come out of the shower and begin to get ready. I didn't go all out for this outfit but mom said that I had to wear something a bit classy.

I decided to wear a yellow long skirt and a white shirt. It's not like we were going anywhere to eat out so I could basically where anything I wanted.

I walk down the stairs and head towards the kitchen. My mom looks up as she sees me walk and and smiles.

"You look lovely sweetheart" I smile back and give her a thank you. My brothers are seated at the kitchen tables and were all looking at me up and down.

"I'm glad you didn't pick a short skirt, good job sis" Adam says with a proud smile. My other two brothers nod in agreement. I roll my eyes.

"I can go change right now into the shortest skirt I have and we'll see what Ryder and his family think about that. This is my decision as to if I want to where something short or long, you do not have a say in this. If I wanted my outfit to be different, I would change it. I don't care about your opinions." I say. They all look taken aback by my comeback and all start grumbling while pouting.

I look over their outfits and see that they are all wearing shorts and black jeans. They looked good.

Just as Blake was going to say something the doorbell rang. My mom dropped her spatula and started panicking.

"Oh god their here! THEIR HERE SOMEBODY GET THE DOOR!!!" We all laugh at her antics.

I volunteer to go let our neighbors in. As I walk into the front foyer, I almost trip over air. I scoff at my stupidity. I go to the door and open it wide.

When I open the door, I see three men standing there. The oldest two probably in their early 40s has big smiles plastered across their faces while Ryder had his smug smirk that I just wanted to wipe off.

"Well hello there Evelyn" he said. I roll my eyes.

"Hello Ryder" he scoffs.

"You humour me Evelyn, no one has ever rolled their eyes at me." He says while stepping closer to me.

"Well I guess there's a first for everything." I reply. I then hear some chuckles from behind him. I push Ryder to the side and go to great the two men with a big smile.

"Hi my name is Evelyn aka your new awesome neighbor" I give them both hugs. I don't know why but these people make me feel safe. The give me fatherly vibes.

"Hello Evelyn, my name is Spencer Johnson and this is my husband Antonio Esposito. We are Ryder parents." Mr. Johnson says. I look back at Ryder and he stared intensely at me to see any signs of judgement. Family is probably really important to him. I just give him a big smile.

"Well it is wonderful to meet you Mr. Johnson and Mr. Esposito. pleas come in" I say with a warm smile.

"Oh please just call us Spencer and this big oaf Antonio, saying our last names makes me feel 100 years old" we all share a good laugh. I then guide them into the living room and see the rest of my family.