Chapter 6

“She doesn’t hate you.” She stops pacing to glare at him, unconvinced. "Uska hate asim ke liye hai but yeh baat usko be nhi pata.” She sighs, sitting back down on the couch next to him. “Take a deep breath and calm down, sab sahi hoga.”

She closes her eyes leaning her head back. He watches her face, watching every micro twitch on her face. She’s worried, anxious because she believes Shefali hates her but he knows it’s not true. Shefali can be stubborn but he thinks that maybe after tonight, they can make amends. It’s likely they won’t go back to being best friends but still, maybe there can be some semblance of closure, of forgiveness.

He’s sure he’s never seen her jump up as fast when the doorbell rings. He grabs her hand as he stands up, squeezing it in his with a reassuring smile before making his way towards the door.

In his mind, it happens slowly. The way Shefali walks in and faces Shehnaaz for the first time. Shehnaaz who is standing stiffly, in the middle of his living room, out of place for the first time in his home. They stare at each other and it feels like a tad dramatic to him, movie like but kind of when you think the time spent on a certain scene was way too much and now it’s just kind of uncomfortable to watch.

In the end, it’s Shehnaaz who says something. “Hi, Shefali.”

“Tu bhot... achi lag rhi hai.” Shefali shifts her weight from one foot to the other.

“Thanks.” Shehnaaz clears her throat.

“Oh bhai sahab yeh kitna awkward hai!!” He laughs, because there isn’t a way not to laugh. They’re being ridiculous but his intervention is enough to get both of them to crack a smile. “Chal khana khate hai vasie be meko bhot bhukh lagi hai. Shehnaaz ne cook kiya hai!”

“Tu nhi sudhrega?” Shefali rolls her eyes, following him to the table.

“Main badal jaaunga but mera appetite nhi.” He winks and he glances at Shehnaaz, who is still apprehensive even as they sit down on the table. “So, wine?”

“Obviously.” Shefali tells him.

Shehnaaz is too quiet, stuck in her own head, as he pours them all wine. And he sends her a look, encouraging her to say something, but he doesn’t know where he would start that conversation himself. Thankfully neither of them have to say anything else because Shefali jumps right in.

“Meko tujhe maaf Krna hai.” She announces and Sidharth tears his eyes away from Shehnaaz to look at her. “Sidharth right hai.. I think."

“Ek minute main pen paper lekr aata hun yeh tu meko likh kr de?” He laughs softly and Shefali laughs with him, while Shehnaaz is staring at her wide eyed.

“Mere liye tough tha ki Asim ne meko choose nhi kiya.” She confesses. Sidharth is surprised at how honest she’s being. He’s not sure what the last time he ever saw her like that. Vulnerable. “Usne kissi ko be choose nhi kiya just jo uske samne tha voh le liya.”

“Shefali...” Shehnaaz breathes out. He knows what she wants to say. That she’s sorry, that she doesn’t know what she was thinking, that she’ll never forgive herself.

“I forgive you. Hum bache the and sab ho rhaa tha.. Sid ne meko sb bataya. Or I wish main tere sath hoti jb sab kharab ho gaya tha. I wish main better frnd hoti.” Shehnaaz’s eyes widen slightly in surprise at her admission. He is surprised himself. “ And meko pata be lag gaya ki Asim kasia hai so yes I forgive you.” In a very matter of fact way, Shefali takes a sip of her wine as Shehnaaz stares at her dumbfounded, speechless. 

Sidharth shuffles to the kitchen to get the food while Shehnaaz, still speechless, gulps down her wine, while Shefali launches into a conversation about the latest even she’d planned for New York socialite.

“Shehnaaz kuch bolegi?” Shefali sighs, as they begin to dig into their food. 

Shehnaaz find the words to speak, "I deserved it. And that’s okay.”

Shefali grabs Shehnaaz’s hand, over the table and smiles softly at her. “Hum vps start kre Sana?” The nickname is enough for start the waterworks.

Shehnaaz sniffles, wiping a tear that had escaped her. “Yes, please.”

When Shefali leaves, it’s late, close to one in the morning but Shehnaaz still stays behind because she always does. Lying on the couch, with a grin on her face because being there felt good, it felt easy to finally not have the weight of Shefali’s anger on her, to have another piece of her heart back in her chest.

“Achaa ho gaya sab.” Sidharth says, as he comes back from walking Shefali to the door. He lifts her feet and sits down, placing them on his lap. She opens her eyes, smiling at him.

 She opens her eyes, smiling at him

“Haan sachi. Jaate time kitni khush lag rhi thi.”

He nods. “Haan.”

His phone buzzes on the coffee table with an incoming call from Arti. Shehnaaz glances down at it. “Haye bechari ne kafi time phone kiya hai.”

"Jaane de.”

“Sidharth.” She narrows her eyes at him.

He presses decline before Shehnaaz can get another word in. “Ludo khelegi?”

It’s five in the morning when she returns home.

Arti is sitting across from him. He’s stiff on her chair, in her living room. He would have to do this one way or the other. He would’ve like that to be in his apartment but she didn’t have the time and maybe she knew what was coming before he even called, so a comfortable setting was better.

“Shehnaaz ke baare me hai yeh?”

He sighs. “Nhi yeh mere baare me hai. Tum jo chahti ho voh main tumko nhi de skta. Main abhi commitment nhi kr skta or nahi shayad kr paunga kissi se.”

AN----

Is it because Shehnaaz?? What do you guys think?..... And Arti ka kya reaction hoga?? Comments me batao?
Iske baad ek bhot bada twist aaegaa be ready 🤐