Chapter 10

As Sasuke walked away, Shikamaru stood up and put his hands in his pockets. He was worried about the boy; Naruto was one of his best friends after all. He started walking over to Naruto's home, soon walking a bit faster as he grew a bit more worried. Soon enough, he found himself in front of Naruto's door. A sigh escaped his lips as he stood there; as he was about to knock, a sob was heard on the other side of the door.

     His eyes widened a bit, and he knocked on the door.

     "Naruto? Are you all alright? I heard about what happened." Shikamaru said, knocking again. He heard shuffling from the other side of the room and watched the doorknob slowly turn. On the other side of the door was a puffy eye, tear-stained Naruto. Shikamaru gasped, and immediately his eyes softened.

     A sigh escaped his lips.

     "Can I come in? You don't look well," he said, opening the door a bit more with his hands. Naruto slowly nodded before walking into the apartment once more. Shikamaru stared around the apartment and then his friend. He frowned at the sight of a wet pillowcase and sheets that had been thrown on the floor. 

     "Naruto, come here," Shikamaru said, not knowing what else he could do other than comfort his friend. He opened his arms and watched as Naruto's eyes teared up. Naruto slowly stepped forwards and hugged the boy. The two stood there for a while until Shikamaru heard small sobs and sniffles.

     "It's going to be alright, okay? You know, Sasuke told me about what happened and demanded I talk to you about it. He seemed worried. I'm sure Kurama's being treated well, okay?" He said, patting the boys back. He had always known Naruto to be a happy, energetic kid, so to see him in such a wrecked state hurt him.

     Naruto nodded before sobbing harder, and his legs started to fail him. Shikamaru helped him over to the bed and held the boy while he cried about his missing best friend. After a while, Naruto was able to form words again.

"Shikamaru, t-thank you for coming over. It means a lot." He said with a sad laugh at the end of it. A sigh left Shikamaru's lips before he smiled at the boy.

     "Yeah yeah, it's whatever. But, listen, if anything happens or something like that, talk to me before it becomes a drag," he said, before getting up from the bed and patting Naruto's back. Naruto grinned and nodded before getting up with him and walking him to the door. 

     "Yeah, I will!" He said, putting his hands behind his head. Shikamaru smirked before putting his hands in his pockets and opening the door.

     "Yeah, but I have to go. It's getting late, and I don't want to have to walk home in the dark." He said before patting Naruto on the head and walking out, closing the door behind him. A small smile graced Naruto's lips, and he slowly walked back to his bed. Shikamaru was right; it was getting dark. Naruto sat on his bed, staring at the ceiling.

He knew he wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. Not without Kurama. The thought of his best friend had brought tears to his eyes once more. Then he heard a knock on the door.

'Did Shikamaru forget something? I didn't see him bring anything' Naruto thought, before going to open the door. Just as he opened it, he saw Sasuke standing there, with a fox plushie in his hands. Naruto looked at him, confused. A small blush appeared on Sasuke's ears as he shoved the toy into Naruto's hands.

"It doesn't look exactly like him, but I thought it would help you out," Sasuke said before turning around to leave. Naruto looked at the toy before looking at Sasuke and smiled.

"Awww! The teme cares about me~!" He teased, a small blush slowly forming on his cheeks. Sasuke just grumbled something before walking away.

"But, Sasuke. Thank you. It means a lot," he said, grinning before turning around and walking inside. Once Sasuke heard the door lock, a small grin made its way onto his face. He walked away, his cheeks dusted a light red.