= Chapter 5 =

"Aspen, I need you to go inside. It's dangerous out here." The soft, mothering voice rang in her head. 

"But mom, you could get hurt." An adorable, six year old Aspen said sadly, watching as the Death Eaters approached on her house through the window.

"It's all worth it to save you, dear. Now go upstairs to your bedroom and go to sleep. This will all be over tomorrow."

"But-"

"No but's, I need you safe."

Aspen slowly walked up the stairs of the manor, glancing back at her mother, who had her wand drawn and was looking towards the raging battle outside. The small girl slipped under the covers and fell asleep.

A loud scream awoke her, tears streaming down her face as she rushed down the stairs, watching in horror as two Death Eaters tortured her mother.

"Crucio!" They yelled, her mother's screams filled the air.

"She's useless. She won't talk." One Death Eater said.

"Then you know what the Dark Lord would want us to do." The other said, though Aspen could've sworn he looked up at her on the stairs.

"Avada Kedavra!"

Screaming, tears, then... silence.

--------------- 

Aspen's eyes fluttered open as she lay on the Hospital Wing bed. She groaned, having a massive headache and still a slight concussion.

"She's awake. Aspen, are you okay, love?" Draco's smooth voice came from her left.

"Oh shove off, Malfoy, she's fine, right Aspen?" Lillian said, pushing Draco away.

"Ugh... yeah, I'll be fine." Aspen said, sitting up, a hand clutching the right side of her face. "Although my nose really hurts-"

"Ah! Good, you're awake." Madam Pomfrey said, rushing to her side. "You had a small concussion and a broken nose, seems the concussion has fixed itself... now for the nose."

Madam Pomfrey took out her wand, pointing it at Aspen's nose.

"Episkey!" She said.

"Ow!" Aspen said, flinching as the bones in her nose relocated themselves through the spell. "Thanks." 

Madam Pomfrey smiled and nodded, then walked out of the curtians as Aspen got out of bed.

"You woke up just in time for dinner, would you accompany us?" Vivid said, getting up from another chair on the right of the bed.

"Of course!" Aspen said, shaking the rest of the headache off and skipping down to the Great Hall with Lillian and Vivid, leaving Draco behind.

"Oh... wait," Aspen said, skidding to a stop. "I have to go tell Draco something." She wheeled around and jogged back into the hospital wing, finding Draco sitting alone on the end of the bed.

"Hey, you alright?" She said, sitting next to him.

He nodded, avoiding eye contact.

"No, you're not. There's something you're not telling me... isn't there?" Aspen asked again, her voice hinted with concern, but also curiosity.

He sighed, "When you were unconscious, I've felt something that I've probably never felt before."

"And what's that?"

"Fear."

Aspen looked shocked, but then slid her hand over his, entwining their fingers and giving him a warm smile as he continued.