= Chapter 19 =

Aspen's fingers entwined with Draco's as they boarded the Hogwarts Express. It had been five days since the Summer Solstice Ball and it was time for them to be returning home for the summer - only Aspen wasn't going home home. During the winter break, she had revived a letter from her father about staying the summer at the Malfoy Manor.

"You good, darling?" Draco asked once they sat down at one of the small compartments near the back of the train.

"Yeah." Aspen nodded, leaning her head on his shoulder.

He smiled and kissed her forehead as the compartment door opened. Lillian and Cedric slid into the seats across from them. Draco tensed up, but relaxed when Aspen lightly grabbed his arm, still not talking to Cedric.

"Hey Lillian." Aspen said tiredly.

"Hi Aspen. How's your headache?" Lillian asked, trying to bring up a conversation.

"It's getting better; still hurts though." Aspen replied, rubbing at the slight pain behind her left eye.

Cedric peered out the window, resting his elbow the sill and his head on his wrist. Lillian giggled and looped her arm through his, resting her chin on his shoulder as he glanced over at her.

"Why is Malfoy here?" Cedric whispered.

"I know he is a bit... prickly, but he is my friend's boyfriend... I think. So please try to survive him." She whispered back, giving a faint smile.

Cedric stopped leaning towards the window and turned to face Draco, looking as if he was trying to start a conversation.

"So, Malfoy, how was your year at Hogwarts?"

---------------

Dove's thoughts scattered as she stared out the window of the passing grasslands, which were now blurs of green.

"Dove? Earth to Dove." Mya giggled, waving her hand in front of her friend.

"What?" Dove said groggily, still tired from last night's lack of sleep.

"We've got two hours until we're done with this miserable train ride." Ron complained as Dove, Hermione, and Mya giggled.

Dove shifted so she could lay her head on Harry's shoulder. He pecked her forehead, smiling as his fingers toyed with her long, brown locks. Dove smiled, closing her eyes and drifting off into a light sleep, catching more than a wink before the train ride was over.

--------------- 

"One hour until we arrive at our stop." the train's conductor boomed over the mic, making the majority of the students cover their ears.

"So... Ember, what happened with you and Blaise?" Goyle asked, slouching in the seat across from the bitter, black haired girl.

"We were never together, gargoyle." She sneered as Goyle turned away from her, moving from her compartment.

"Hey Ember." Pansy Parkinson said as she slid into the open spot Goyle had left.

"Hi Pansy." Ember shrugged, turning to look out the window.

"Are you okay?" Pansy pushed.

"What do you think?" She snapped, turning her angry blue eyes toward Pansy in a glare.

Pansy looked away, shrugging, but not leaving the compartment. She glanced at Aspen, who was laughing along with Draco, Lillian, and Cedric. She leaned over and smiled at Ember, who only gave a faint smile in return.

---------------

"Welcome to the King's Cross Station. We have arrived at our destination." The conductor shouted over the loud mic as Aspen struggled to get her luggage out.

Honestly, it was weird not having to lug Liberty's heavy cage around - but now that she was gone, she would give anything to do it again.

"Need help with that?" Draco asked, coming up behind her and pulling her luggage out of the containment with ease.

"Thanks." Aspen smiled.

"Come now, darling. We've got to go find my father." He said, taking her arm.

"Right." She mumbled. "I almost forgot."

---------------

They finally found Lucius waiting near the exit to the Hogwarts Express' station. He was dressed in a usual black suit and held a golden cage with a beautiful snowy owl held inside.

"Hello Mr. Malfoy." Aspen smiled. "What a beautiful owl."

"Yes, he is, and I am glad you like him, because he's yours." Lucius stated monotonically as Aspen stared up at him in shock.

"This is Mystic. He's got an exceptional pedigree and cost hundreds of galleons." Draco said over-dramatically. 

"Draco... don't boast." Mr. Malfoy said, jabbing him in the ribs with his cane.

"Sorry father. But, anyway, we were going to give him to you for your birthday. I know he can't replace Libby, but maybe he can help fill your heart up a bit." Draco said with a smile, hugging Aspen.

"Thank you so much!" She said to Lucius, who nodded and handed her the cage.

The snowy owl cooed, looking over at Aspen, who smiled, scratching under his chin, something that Liberty used to love. Maybe this summer would be great.