= Chapter 6 =

"Now, can anybody tell me what a boggart looks like?" Professor Lupin said, looking out into the crows of third year Slytherin and Gryffindors. A hand shot out, eager to answer.

"No one knows." Hermione said, smiling brightly.

"When did she get here." Dove mumbled, standing next to Harry.

"Boggarts are shape-shifters. They take the shape of whatever a person fears the most. That's what makes them so..." Ember finished, shooting a glare at Hermione, loving to be the center of attention.

"So terrifying, yes... Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a boggart. How about we practice it now. Without wands, please," Professor Lupin finished, putting his wand away. "After me. Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!" The class repeated flatly, showing no interest, except for Hermione, Harry, Ron, Mya, Eleana, and Dove.

"Very good. A little louder and very clear," Professor Lupin said again. "Listen: Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!" Everyone chanted in unison, loudly and clearly.

"This class is ridiculous." Draco commented, earning a stifled laugh from Aspen and Lillian.

"Very good. So much for the easy part. You see, the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a boggart is laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing," The Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher explained. "Allow me to explain. Mya, would you join me, please? Come on, don't be shy. Come on."

Mya shuffled forward, frightened that all attention was on her.

"Hello Mya, what frightens you most of all?"

"Failing..." Mya stuttered, her voice no louder than a whisper.

"Sorry?"

"Failing."

"Failing. Yes, that frightens all. Now, what's something that makes you very, very happy?" Lupin smiled.

"Hm... I like balloons, or confetti." She piped up.

"Okay, I want you to picture 'confetti', only confetti, very clearly, in your mind." Lupin said.

"As long as you see it, we'll see it. Now, when I open that wardrobe... here's what I want you to do."

"Imagine that 'F' exploding into confetti." He leaned down to whisper in her ear. Mya smiled and nodded.

"Can you do that?" Mya nodded enthusiastically. "Yes." She said.  "Wand at the ready. One, two, three."

Lupin swished his wand at the wooden wardrobe as a large, levitating F stepped out. Mya froze, afraid of what to do.

"Think, Mya, think."

"Riddikulus!" Mya shouted as the F exploded, showering the whole room in multicolored confetti. The whole class laughed attempted to catch the confetti.

"Wonderful, Mya, wonderful! Incredible! Okay... to the back, Mya. Everyone, form a line! Form a line! I want everyone to picture the thing they fear the very most... and turn it into something funny." Professor Lupin laughed, moving over to a record player, placing the disc down, then allowing the music to play.

"Next! Lillian!"

Lillian stepped forward as the boggart already began to take shape into... a bunny? The transformation earned laughs and snickers from some of the other students, making Lillian become red with embarrassment.

"Concentrate. Face your fear. Be brave!" Lupin said as Lillian pulled out her wand, facing the enormous bunny.

"Riddikulus!" Lillian shouted, laughing as the bunny transformed into a small, round pygmy puff with a bunny ear head band.