Ashes

Finally getting around to posting these one-shots on Wattpad, pog. (i'll make a better cover at a later date when my wrists don't hurt so bad oof-)

this is one of the first bnha fics i wrote wayy back in september 2018, and im only just posting it now i guess lmao. i love having stuff to post without having to write it first (:

the second line of the summary is what i noted down in the file when writing to remind myself of the plot and since i hate writing summaries and it makes me laugh, i figured i'd use it haha. anyway, hope you enjoy <3

-

Summary:
It was in Izuku's nature to save people, even when the situation was too dangerous.

OR: Izuku just fuckin' yeets himself into a burning building to save someone like a selfless dumbass.

CW: Fire, Blood & Injury, Temporary Character Death

~

"Why do I have to babysit you brats?" Aizawa huffed, keeping his hands shoved deep into the pockets of his black hero costume.

"Because Bakugou-san and Midoriya-kun will probably end up killing each other if left alone, kero," Tsu answered the very rhetorical question. "Also I dislike Mineta."

"That was mean, Tsu-chan!" Mineta wailed, peering up at their teacher and ignoring the girl's pointed, "Call me Asui-san."

"I'm not getting involved in your petty argument," the man deadpanned, moving forward at a brisk pace to try and get the outing over and done with.

"Why couldn't that cooking-bastard get his own supplies?" Kacchan snarled, slouching as he walked and clearly wanting to be anywhere but there.

"Lunch Rush makes us great food every day, don't be so-" Izuku clamped his jaws shut the moment he saw the murderous intent in Bakugou's eyes. "E-eh, neverm-mind! Sorry!"

There was a tense silence, punctuated with footsteps against the cracked pavement. For some reason, Lunch Rush needed some very rare and very specific ingredients that were apparently only sold in a run-down, eerie part of town. It seemed like an odd errand to get four students to do, but since they had some time the burden had fallen to them – and the burden to keep them from dying fell to a reluctant Aizawa.

Izuku gazed around them as they walked, seeing as no-one was willing to start up a conversation. He observed the peeling paint and crumbling buildings. He eyed the boarded-up windows and scrawled graffiti. He stared skyward, frowning at the unexpected grey clouds, only to realise that it was thick smoke curling towards the sun and blocking out the blue, not clouds.

"Aizawa-sensei," he said urgently, pointing it out.

His teacher grimaced, clearly torn between acting a hero and checking out the scene or being a teacher and making sure his students were away from danger. Aizawa huffed and upped his pace into a jog across the road, motioning for them to follow him. They navigated littered alleys and darted through empty streets, smelling the burning before they could see it.

There was a large building engulfed in flames. A crowd had already gathered, speaking in panicked, hushed tones. Even standing a fair few feet away, the heat was immensely uncomfortable. Izuku shifted impatiently on his toes as his teacher gleaned details of the incident from the onlookers. Kacchan was tensed and coiled like a spring, ready to dart into action at a moment's notice. Tsu was wincing at the temperature and staring worriedly into the flames. Mineta was trying his best to hide behind the three of them, shaking uncontrollably.