Distant Star [5/8]

hey hey i hope you're staying safe ily!! enjoy the chapter <33

CW: Blood & Injury, Canon-Typical Violence, Angst, Major Character Injury, Temporary Character Death, Hurt/Comfort

~

Chapter Summary:

Who ya gonna call?

~

"Open up, Shi-Shi!" Kaminari urged, holding up a spoonful of apple sauce.

She shook her head stubbornly.

"Don't do this to me, man," he whined, pouting. "Bakubro finally trusted me to babysit you alone, and I'm not gonna mess this up. Please open up?"

She frowned, turning her face away as the spoon approached.

"C'mon, Shi-chan," Izuku said softly, standing behind his friend.

"No!" She complained. "Don't want!"

"Aah," Kaminari muttered, dejectedly putting the spoon back into the tiny bowl, but then perking up. "Oh, but what if... No, no, I shouldn't... Should I...? Would it be unethical to use my dead friend's name to get her to do something for me...? It probably would be, right?"

He paused, glancing around the empty flat. Shi kicked her legs in the high-chair, burbling to herself. Izuku gave a bemused grin as Kaminari returned his attention to her, his expression turning determined.

"Sorry if this is, uh, disrespectful, man. Please don't haunt me," he said with a nervous smile, then raised the spoon again. "Hey, Shi-Shi... Deku would eat his apple sauce."

Shi stared contemplatively at the approaching utensil. Her gaze flitted above Kaminari's head to where Izuku was, and he gave an encouraging nod, miming biting down. She hesitated for a moment longer, then opened her mouth and finally ate the apple sauce.

"Whoa, bro," Kaminari whispered, uneasily looking behind him and scanning the area, clearly having noticed her brief change of focus. "This is... weird."

"Give Deku appl' sauc'!" Shi insisted, pushing the spoon away and staring intently at the ghostly hero.

Kaminari sniffled, pulling an ugly face as he tried to hold back the tears whilst obligingly scooping up more apple sauce. He twisted in his seat and raised the spoon, completely missing Izuku's face and instead plunging it into his chest until Izuku dipped down to meet it, but it was the thought that counted. Izuku pretended to eat it, then stood back up as Kaminari took the spoon back and instead offered it to the girl again.

"Th-There, Deku had some apple sauce – you'd better have eaten it, man, or I'll look like an idiot in front of Shi-Shi – so now it's time for you to have the rest, okay? Sound good?" He asked hopefully.

She nodded in agreement, and Kaminari cheered.

*

"Okay, Shi, it's nap time," Kirishima told her, scooping her into his arms.

She instantly started to wriggle and squirm, nearly sliding out of his grip and he had to frantically keep replacing his arms to keep her from falling. A tiny hand slapped him in the face, trying to push him away, and he just accepted it to focus on preventing her hitting the floor. There was a high-pitched scream building in her throat and both Izuku and Kirishima panicked.

"U-Uh, bro- girl-bro? Sis? No, that's weird- Shi, it's okay, shh, nap time is super manly!" He enthused, bouncing her slightly as she bitterly sank into his arms. "Don't you wanna take a nap? Naps are really good!"