Retry [5/6]

CW: Blood & Injury, Canon-Typical Violence, Temporary Character Death

~

Chapter Summary:

Izuku reunites a family and saves a baby. You go, Izuku!

~

Shouto wasn't letting go of Izuku's hand, but he wasn't complaining. He gave a reassuring little squeeze and flashed a Deku smile, beaming even brighter when he saw his friend relax a little, heterochromatic gaze going back to examining the surroundings. The social worker took a step back, content to give the boy a moment to adjust to what was going to be his home for the foreseeable future since Endeavour had lost custody.

"I think my mum's in the kitchen making us something," Izuku informed to break the nervous silence. "We don't have to see her right now if you don't want to. We could check out our room, or..."

"Your mum's nice," Shouto said quietly, stepping inside the apartment and letting his friend guide him through.

Inko turned around at the sound of tiny pattering footsteps, and she broke into an indescribably soft smile, drying off her hands on a towel before turning around to face them. "Hi again, Shouto-kun. How are you?"

"I'm..." He paused, blinked, then dipped his head, lips curving into the smallest of grins. "I'm fine, Inko-san."

"That's great! I'm making katsudon and soba, since I heard from Izuku that was your favourite, right?" She tilted her head a little to the side, humming when she got a faint nod in response. "Well, you've got a bit of time until it's ready, so Izuku can show you around and help you get settled in. I'll call you when it's done, okay?"

"Thanks, mum," Izuku said brightly, raising his free hand in a farewell wave.

The social worker stepped aside to let them pass, remaining in the kitchen to converse with the mother. Both kids headed straight for their bedroom, seeing two All Might nameplates hung up. Izuku pushed open the door and the two of them stepped inside; even though he'd helped sort out his room so there was space for two, he was still super excited to see how his friend would react to it. Shouto stayed relatively still, turning in place to take in the decorations without many changes of expression, his fingers still firmly linked with the green-haired boy's.

Two beds inhabited the room on either side, with desks next to them and chests of drawers at the end. There was significantly less All Might merchandise than before, although still more than the average person since Toshinori insisted on going Plus Ultra when facilitating Izuku's unhealthy addiction. A couple of posters were stuck on the white walls and Izuku's favourite figurine was on his desk next to a Hero Analysis notebook and several pencils. The wardrobe had been split in two, half of it nearly empty so Shouto could fill it with the minimal clothes he had deemed important enough to take with him. His half of the room was a fairly blank canvas, ready for him to fill it with unique items and allow him to express himself like a normal child.

Shouto hesitantly took off his backpack and put it on the carpet next to his bed, then climbed up to sit on the edge of the mattress, a certain sort of glow to his gaze. Izuku remained in the middle of the room, letting his friend sort through the influx of emotions he was undoubtedly experiencing. He glanced towards the ajar door, contentedly listening to the wonderfully domestic sounds of clinking cutlery, shuffling footsteps, and his mother speaking in low tones.

A sniffle snapped his attention back to his freed friend. His arm was raised to cover his face, but a tear trailed down his face and dripped off his chin, landing on his lap where his other hand was scrunched.