5. First Practice

Minami changed into her practice clothes before she reached the gym. She also brushed her hair out and put it in a ponytail.

She walked into the gym after changing to find it surprisingly empty. She set her bag down on the bench and sat down, waiting for the boys to enter.

She started picking at her fingers with her nails, causing one of them to start bleeding.

"Don't do that!"

Minami looked up to see Tendou fumbling to open the first aid kit. He pulled out a band-aid and walked over to her. He unwrapped the bandage and placed around her finger. He then kissed it and smiled," Don't hurt yourself Minami-chan."

Minami felt her face turn red and heat up as Tendou walked away and the rest of the team entered.

"Minami-san are you okay?" Semi asked. "Your face is really red."

"Fine, just, swallowed something hot," she said, grabbing her water bottle and take a sip to emphasize what she said was true.

Semi shrugged and all the boys sat down in a circle on the floor. They started doing their stretches and Coach Washijo and the assistant coach came in.

"Good afternoon," Minami said, standing up from the bench. Coach Washijo grunted and the assistant coach smiled.

Minami hugged herself as she watched the boys start serving practice. Ushijima served first and she smiled as he jumped up and hit the ball over the net.

Tendou was up next and he did a normal serve, so the ball landed where the back row would be. The rest of the boys continued serving for what felt like forever.

"Come on you delinquents! " Coach Washijo yelled. "Start doing your spiking practice!"

The boys complied and everyone got into their positions. Minami let out a breath and thought about earlier that day.

Why did she agree to the date with Tendou? What was she even going to wear? She would probably make a fool of herself. 

"Ushijima-san?"

Minami was taken out of her thoughts by Coach Saito(Asst. Coach). 

"Can you please fill up these water bottles?" he asked. Minami nodded and took the many empty bottles from the coach and headed to the water fountains.

She set the bottles down and started to unscrew the lid of one. She slowly filled it up and continued with the rest. 

After filling up all of the bottles, she headed back to the gym, struggling to carry the extra weight of the water. 

She hefted the water bottles onto the bench as she was called by someone else.

"Minami-chan! We need you to hit down balls for us," Tendou said. Minami nodded, 'Finally something she knew she could do.'

She took the volleyball cart and climbed onto the ladder. When she reached the top, her head was just a little bit over the net.

She heard someone clear their throat and she looked down to see Coach Saito holding a ball up to her.

"Thank-you," Minami said, gingerly taking the ball. She threw it up lightly into the air and smacked it down to the court.

The ball went right in between Ohira and Yamagata.

"ONE OF YOU NEEDS TO CALL IT!" Coach Washijo yelled from the sidelines. "THREE LAPS, ALL OF YOU!"

The boys groaned but started running around the gym. Minami grabbed another ball from Coach Saito and got ready to spike it down to the boys.