13. Mom?

"I'm glad today's Saturday, or else, she'd be sitting in one of our dorms, looking through our stuff," Minami told her brother as they cleaned up their house. It was a large house with two floors. The second floor was already clean but the first floor wasn't as lucky.

Minami and her brother never liked their mom. She had tried to force them to use their right hand instead of their left so they wouldn't be different. She wasn't a real likable person. She would visit once a year to see how they were doing, but other then that, she kept away.

Minami picked up the broom and started sweeping the kitchen, pushing all of the dust and dirt into one pile. She leaned over and picked up the dust pan, then bent down and swept the dirt into it.

After dumping the dirt into the trash can, Minami helped her brother fix the furniture. 

"Do you think she'll ask if we're in any relationships?" Minami asked her brother. "I know for a fact she won't like Satori."

"It does not matter," he replied. "Even if their paths were to cross, she could not force you out of a relationship with someone you love."

Minami gave her brother a kiss on the cheek, "Aw, Waka-kun, you're sweet sometimes."

They finished cleaning the house and sat outside, waiting for their mom to come.

-----

Minami and her brother stood up as a grey car pulled into the driveway of their house. It stopped right in front of them and the door opened.

Their mom looked exactly like she had when she left. Her dark hair was still in an a-line bob and she still wore the same ticked off expression.

She was now two inches shorter then Minami and much shorter then Ushijima. 

"Wakatoshi, Minami," she narrowed her eyes at Minami. "I see you didn't take my advice."

Another reason why she didn't like Minami: her eyes. If there was an odd one out of their family, it was her. Dirty blonde hair, red eyes, anxiety. The only thing she had in common with them was her olive skin tone. Multiple times, their mom suggested that Minami get contacts.

"Mom," Minami regarded her. "It's nice to see you."

No hugs. They never gave each other hugs. The most physical contact they all had was a head nod.

"Mom," Ushijima bowed. "We are happy you could visit us."

"Well," she sighed. "I suppose we should go inside."

The two siblings stepped to the side and let their mother go into the house, following behind her.

They walked inside and their mom did a look over of the place with her eyes. They all sat down and Minami made tea while they caught up.

"How's school?" she asked. "You both have good marks I pressume?"

"Yes ma'am," Minami replied and her brother nodded. "I became the manager of the boys volleyball team."

"Oh that's right you changed schools again," she said. "I'm a little disappointed to hear you didn't continue playing though."

There was an awkward silence. Her brother looked like he was going to say something but Minami cut him off, "I'm playing next year, Mom."

"You are?" she asked. She then let out a small chuckle. "Let's hope you're not out of touch, by then. How about you Wakatoshi?"

"I'm the ace of the volleyball team," he replied.