Chapter 10

Clay didn't know how much time had passed between techno's last breath and him finally coming to terms with his surroundings- there were no windows down here, after all, and his internal clock was only right twice a day.

It was only when he felt his phone vibrate that he realized how much time had elapsed, feeling the dried blood starting to flake off of his fingers as he went to press 'accept'.

"Clay?? Clay?? Holy fucking shit he answered oh my god-" he heard George's voice on the other end of the line, making him smile weakly.

"Hey, Sorry, I totally zoned out-"

"For hours??"

"Has it been hours?"

"Yes it's been- how do you not know how long it's been?!?" George sounded concerned as ever.

"Sorry, sorry- I know, you probably totally missed me... simp."

"I- what? That's not important right now! What's important is-"

"Hey, do you think you could bring me some gym clothes? I'm in the left wing."

"Gym... clothes..?"

"Yeah, I got a little bit of blood on my uniform... but you could just give me some clothes in the bathroom, right?"

"Blood? How- oh, yeah- okay."

"Thanks Gogy!" Clay smiled and hung up.

He calmly looked back at his phone, scrolling through hundreds of notifications from George and Sapnap. It made him chuckle a bit. Still, he knew he had to change and such. It would be better if George didn't beat him to the bathroom to give him the uniform, after all.

So, he calmly pushed Techno's body off is his shoulder, leaving him leaned against the wall. "Bye babe, love you!" He waved to the corpse happily, smiling his he turned off the lights and closed the door behind him, heading down the hall and up the stairs to meet George.

He slipped away into the bathroom and leaned against the door, looking in the mirror as he breathed heavily. The pain was catching up to him and the ringing in his ears was getting louder, making him lean against the wall and fold over a bit in pain.

He felt his eyes water a bit, which made him laugh a tiny bit. He hadn't felt this much pain in a long time- maybe ever. He felt...

He felt alive.

This realization only lasted a small moment before he heard the click of a door handle. He had meant to lock the door and just get George to leave the clothes there, but he realized too late that he hadn't done that.

George walked into the room and instantly flinched as he saw Clay's current state, clutching the clothes to his chest. "Clay?! What happened?!?" He questioned frantically.

"Like I said, I got some blood on my uniform. Just gimmie the clothes-"

"You said you got /a little/ blood on your uniform- I thought you meant from the wound from earlier!"

"Give me the damn clothes, George-"

"No- Clay, you need to go to the nurse- you need to go to the hospital!"

"George, I'll be fine-"

"You really won't-"

"I will-"

This 'I will' 'you won't' bickering continued for a short moment of time before the the two came to an agreement.

"If I let you change, will you come to the nurse to make sure you don't have a concussion or pass out from blood loss?"

"Sure, fine, whatever, just give me the clothes."

George handed him the clean gym clothes that he knew would be quickly stained by the still bleeding wounds on his body. Dream took them and changed in the open, leaving George to cringe at the marks on his body and quickly look away.

He threw the bloody uniform in the corner, knowing he could deal with it later when he delt with Techno's body. George looked back at him and frowned softly, as his lower face, neck, and hand were all still covered in dried blood.

"Can you come to the nurse now?"

"Fine."

"Thank you, Clay..."

George took him by his non-bloody hand and led him out of the room, Clay blushing softly as he felt those same gross butterflies in his stomach as George walked him to the nurse.

As the pair walked out of the dark wing of the school and into the light, Clay felt himself get dizzier and more lightheaded- but he powered through.

"So... what happened?" George eventually asked.

"Fought with Techno..." Clay replied weakly.

"Techno did this to you..?" George questioned. He felt his heart drop, but at the same time he was relatively unsurprised.

"Yeah, but out of love."

George only sighed softly at that as the pair entered the nurse's office.

He was struggling to stand, the ringing in his ears paired with putting all of his energy into just staying awake making it hard to pay attention to George's conversation with the nurse.

"...and put your name here," the nurse said, pushing the clipboard to Clay who, expectedly, didn't even seem to process what she said- let alone write his name.

"Clay? Clay!" George shook his friend.

"Huh? Oh, yeah-" Clay took the pen and pressed it against the paper, pausing to seemingly remember his name. He blinked and glanced over at George.

"...Clay..?" George asked in concern. Dream only nodded and weakly scribbled something vague, the ink pooling already from holding the pen down. The weak scribble turned into a line that ran through the rest of the mostly blank paper as Clay collapsed onto the floor, pen still in hand.