Chapter 11

If Clay still had a sense of time before passing out, he lost it the second he lost his consciousness in the nurse's office. It felt like no time at all passed when he cracked his eyes open, but as he looked around he realized that wasn't the case.

The first red flag was how obnoxiously white the room he was in was- compared to the cream colored walls and discolored, flickering lights of the school nurse. The second red flag was the obnoxious beeping sound coming from beside him.

So of course, Clay used his amazing detective skills to figure out where he was- not that that was truly a hard task, as he was only confirming his suspicions.

He looked to his left to see a heart monitor hooked up to his arm, then looked to his left to see a half-asleep George tiredly holding his other hand. He quickly pulled his hand away, making George snap awake.

"Ah- shit- you're awake, Clay!" George greeted, giving him a smile.

"...yeah. Am I in the hospital? What time is it? Why are you here?" He looked out the window to see that it was dark out, likely well past visiting hours, and raised a final "/how/ are you here??"

"Yes, about 2:30 am, because I was worried, and... I kinda lied about being your boyfriend? Techno wasn't showing up or answering his phone, so..." George's voice trailed off.

"...oh."

"Yeah."

There was a long silence filled by nothing but the sound of the machine hooked up to Clay as the two just... looked at eachother.

"...you have a concussion."

"I do?"

"Yeah. How's that happen?"

Clay only shrugged, the room returning to a soft, slightly awkward silence. Then, Clay slowly moved his hand to the needle stuck in his arm.

"...Clay."

Clay looked back at George, making eye contact as he grabbed the tube connecting the needle to the machine measuring his heartbeat.

"Clay, no."

Clay just continued to make eye contact before quickly yanking the needle out of his arm, the machine now emitting a loud beep.

"I swear to god Clay-"

Quickly, two nurses came into the room in a visible panic. Of course, they instantly calmed down when they saw that Clay was just fine.

"He just took it out, I'm sorry," George apologized, only for one of the nurses to shake her head softly.

"Not your fault, sweetie," she said kindly before going back to Clay. "Clay, can you please let me see your arm?"

"...no."

"Sweetie, you have to let me fix your heart monitor- if you don't, it's gonna keep making that loud beeping noise."

"You could... turn it off."

The sweet blonde nurse just blinked in confusion, glancing back at the now visibly annoyed other nurse. Before she could speak and diffuse the situation, the other nurse spoke.

"Now you listen here ya little-"

"Minx!" The blonde nurse interrupted once more, addressing her colleague by name.

"...can ya just give the nice lady your arm ya brat?"

"I don't think you can say that either-"

"I don't think I care, Niki."

As the two nurses spoke to each other, Clay looked over at George and the two shared a look of 'I have no clue what's happening right now' before looking back at the two nurses, who were still having their little moment. After a second, the blonde nurse, apparently Niki, shook her head at the purple haired nurse, apparently Minx, and just looked back at Clay.

"Look, can you please just give me your arm, Clay?"

Clay huffed and rolled his eyes, just holding out his arm. Niki thanked him and cleaned the small bit of blood off from when he unceremoniously yanked out the needle before hooking him back up to the machine.

"Okay, you kids be good, alright?"

"Yeah, no more fuckin' pullin' out wires-"

"Minx!"

"Sorry, sorry-"

With that, the two left. As they did, Clay laughed. Of course, he instantly regretted this and held his chest in pain.

"Clay, what happened?"

"Ow- fuck- I don't know-"

Clay huffed and relaxed after a moment. And they were back to silence.

"...go back to sleep, Clay. You'll feel better when you wake up."

Clay looked over at him at George and opened his mouth in rebuttal- hesitant to fall asleep in front of someone he barely knew. After all, sleeping was the most vulnerable position you could be in- but as he only managed to yawn, he gave George a small nod.

"Okay... I go sleep..."

"You go sleep?" George questioned, clearly trying not to giggle.

"I go sleep."

And with that, he passed right back out.