Chapter 12

Clay really didn't think he'd manage to sleep for as long as he did, but he was only woken up by the lights shining brightly in the morning. He flicked his eyes open and glanced around the room, seeing that he was still in the hospital. George was still by his side, holding his hand gently.

George smiled softly at Clay as the two made eye contact. "Morning, Clay..." he mumbled with a yawn.

Clay looked back at him and gave a soft smile. Despite his current circumstance, he actually felt at peace right now. "Morning, Gogy," he greeted, still sticking with the stupid nickname.

As he looked up at George, he noticed he had deep set eye bags on his normally untried face. "...did you sleep at all, George..?"

George gave a small laugh and a little yawn, shaking his head. "I couldn't fall asleep, honestly. I was worried about you..."

"...well that's stupid."

"...I was expecting an "aww"- or at least a "Huh?"-"

"Fuckin simp."

"Clay-"

"Nope. You're a simp."

There was a long silence between them before Clay eventually sighed and glanced back at George before glancing away. Even when seeing George by his side made him feel at ease, he still ended up being mean to him. And for what, staying with him at the hospital to make sure he was alright? Damn, now he felt bad.

Not bad enough to apologize or anything, but still.

"...hey, George?" He asked in a softer tone after a second.

"Yeah? What's up?"

"Do you... think they would let me go to get food?? I'm hungry as fuck."

George stifled a laugh at that, tilting his head. "That's... not the question I was expecting to hear of all things, but maybe?"

"Woo, pog!" Clay cheered, going to sit up before immediately cringing in pain and laying back down.

"Okay maybe DONT do that yet, though?? You broke a few ribs, Clay-"

"He broke my ribs??"

"What?"

"What??"

George blinked a bit, clearly trying to process what Clay said. His brows furrowed softly. "You said /he/."

"I think I'd remember if I said he-"

"Clay, who did this?"

"No one did anything-"

"Did Techno do this??"

George seemed to realize after he spoke that he was raising his voice. He really didn't mean to do that, but he felt bad instantly nonetheless. It didn't help that Clay's heart rate monitor started beeping faster.

"...I'm sorry, Clay-"

"No, it's fine," Clay said softly, looking away. He meant it.

George only looked down, feeling like he deserved the awkward silence between the two but still feeling the need to break it.

"...what do you want to eat, Clay? I'll bring you some food."

"You don't have to-"

"I want to."

There was a small silence as Clay thought.

"...there's a Wendy's in the food court, they usually open when visitor hours start, but I know they open earlier on the weekends. Can you get me a Frosty and some fries?"

"Alright, sure. What flavor?"

"Vanilla, duh. It's superior."

"Agreed. I'll be back in like... 20 minutes at the latest?"

"Alright man. I'll be here. Can't really move."

George stifled a laugh at that and shook his head. "Clay... you're strange."

"Are you gonna get me my frosty or not?"

"Okay, okay. Be right back, Clay. Text me if you need anything else."

"Alright, byeeeee!"

With that, George headed out on a quest to retrieve Clay's 'breakfast', leaving him alone in his room for the first time with nothing but the static hum of the fluorescent lights and the beeping of the heart monitor to fill his mind.

For once, he found himself wishing that George was still by his side- if only to not leave him alone with his thoughts.

Of course, he would come to regret that thought soon enough.