Chapter 4

JIA

"Hmm..." I could feel the vibration of my phone beside my head. I peered at the lit screen to see the time.

6:00 am.

My classes start at eight but the purpose of the alarm that was ringing on my phone made me sit up and grab my phone excitedly. I slid off the alarm and dialled up the number that was on my speed dial.

"Happy Birthday!!!!!" I couldn't help but scream into the phone making the person on the other end laugh at my excitement.

"Thank you Princess."

"May you be healthy all your life ! And may you muster up enough courage to propose Irene soon..." I said as I giggled.

"Yeah...yeah..make as much fun of me as you want. But thank you.."

"I wish I could see you Jae. I miss you and Jiwoo." I could feel my eyes sting a bit at the emotion. I wanted to be with my brother on his birthday but that wouldn't possible. I am alone here in Busan for a reason and I can't make his efforts go in vain.

"I know Princess..but you know this is required, right? It's just a matter of time. Once I settle this and you become of legal age I am coming there myself  to take you back home."

I couldn't keep my sniffle back to myself as I wiped at my eyes rapidly to stop the hot tears spilling from my eyes as if he could see it. It's so hard to stay away from family. I can understand his intentions and I am willing to oblige to them but I feel lonely. I gaze up at the empty walls of my room just like my life that's devoid of any memories of my family. Just the photograph of my brothers, me and my dad by my bed is what is keeping me sane.

"Princess...don't cry. You know I don't like to see you sad. And it's my birthday. We promised to not cry. Would dad like us to be sad ?"

"No.." I sniffled.

"Then you have to promise me that you would treat yourself today. And I was checking your account. Why haven't you shopped at all? You just have a few purchases at a convenient store. And then bookstores. Are you too busy in the academy? Should I talk to your dean?"

" No. I just don't want to waste money on unnecessary things. I have enough things to survive on. And I was saving that money to buy myself a guitar. I can't keep using Minji's. She has to practice as well."

"I will transfer the money to your account right away. Don't keep yourself from buying things just because you're saving money. Why would you save money Jia?"

I could hear the disapproval in his tone but then he should understand that I don't want to come across as a spendthrift girl who leeches off her brother's money. I want to work and earn money and this leads to the very fact why I don't want to tell him about my new job at the café.

"Just chill. Will you? I will go and get ready for my day. Happy Birthday Jae. And spend time with Jiwoo. Ok?"

I could hear him sighing and I could bet money that he was rolling his eyes while he replied.

"Yes..Princess. Take care."

"Take care. Bye."

"It's fine. This is the last year that I would have to be alone." I looked around at the emptiness of the room.

"So Jia...what about your family?" Namjoon asked me as I was cleaning up the small cutlery by the sink. He had come back to the kitchen to help me with drying the dishes before keeping them aloof the wet area.