Chapter 1 • We Only See Each Other at Weddings and Funerals

❤︎

On the 12th hour of the first day of October 1989, 43 women around the world gave birth. This was unusual only in the fact that none of these women had been pregnant when the day first began.

Sir Reginald Hargreeves, eccentric billionaire and adventurer, resolved to locate and adopt as many of the children as possible.

He got eight of them.

-

March 21, 2019

A young girl, 13 years old perhaps, walked into the dark studio. She flicked the light switches on the wall and the whole room emmitted a bright light. Quietly, the girl set down the dark blue duffel bag onto the floor of the studio that was embroiled with an umbrella symbol. A nearby stool held a CD player and after grabbing one specific disk from its case, she put it inside the player and pressed the play button.

The music from the disk was a favorite of hers, one she would usually play to help her concentrate. The song was orginally from an old recital but it stuck with her longer than it should have. The girl didn't do recitals and lessons anymore, but practice was still on her agenda. She loved ballet too much to quit it.

She doesn't know long it's been since she started. Maybe about 30 minutes, maybe even more than an hour. She usually was lost in the music or in thought when dancing. Being the only one in the studio, she was allowed to be herself the best she can. This was her way of an escape. To escape from the world, and to escape from her own life. This is where she felt at peace.

Number Eight

"(Y/n)"

While dancing, her thoughts caught up with her too much and (Y/n) tried to leap into the air and succeeded, but upon landing she ended up slipping and falling onto the hardwood floor. She grunted in pain as she stood up, it was a basic move and yet she made another mistake. (Y/n) sighed as she rose up from the floor, rubbing her aching bottom.

"Guess I should practice more than I thought..." She said to herself.

Deciding to call it a night, (Y/n) packed up her stuff and returned the music disk back to its orginal place. She turned off the lights and left the studio, walking down the street and putting in headphones that blasted her favorite songs from her phone.

The (h/c) haired girl continued to make her way back home and within 10-15 minutes, she had arrived. She opened up the gates to the front door and turned the knob for it. The house was quiet and looked almost empty, a big difference compared to the older days where it was filled with several children running down the halls. But that was the past, this was now.

Coming from another room was a chimpanzee that walked with a cane, but this didn't shock (Y/n) at all. Instead, she greeted him.

"Hey Pogo."

"Miss (Y/n), welcome back. You were gone for quite a while." The chimp responded.

"I was just at the studio again. I think I'm becoming a bit rusty, so I'm gonna be spending more time there. Beats just staying here with nothing to do, anyway." She shrugged.

"Dad in his office again? Oh who am I kidding, of course he is. He's always in his office." She rolled her eyes and started to walk her way to her room, avoiding a room with a certain painting in the other room when Pogo spoke up.

"Actually, Miss (Y/n)," He began. "Your father turned in a bit earlier tonight, feeling a bit under the weather. He requested you to see him once you returned."