Chapter 16 • Boom

❤︎

The Handler slurped on the rest of her liquidized lunch as she finished telling her story. (Y/n) was just barely paying attention.

"And that's how Phil determined that the archduke just had to go." She concluded.

Five set down his glass of water while the girl next to him wiped her hands on her pants.

"Care for desert?"

Five shook his head. "I had a bad twinkie in the apocalypse once. It kind of put me off deserts."

The Handler looked to (Y/n) expectantly but she waved her off.

"I'm a little full, but thanks for the offer." She said.

"Please, indulge me." The woman pushed over to the small candy bowl in front of them and after the two teens exchanged a look, they both decided to have one.

Five took two pieces and handed one over to (Y/n). They opened their wrapped candies and popped them into their mouths, inspecting the taste while the woman in front of them lit her old fashioned cigarette.

"What's that taste like to you?" She asked.

The two of them chewed a bit more until a familiar taste came to their mind.

"The 1950s?" Five said.

"I was getting some 80s vibes." (Y/n) added.

"Percisely right. Our clever metaphysics division concocted a way to perfectly distill an entire decade into a single candy." The Handler picked up a different wrapped candy from the bowl.

"This one's modeled after the Fudge Mutt, America's favorite in 1955."

"Remarkable." Muttered Five.

"You'll be happy to know it's the very division that's building your new body."

Confused, (Y/n) glanced between the two of them.

"Wait, what do you mean by his 'new body'?" She questioned.

For a moment, Five couldn't think of the right words on how to explain what they meant by The Handler spoke before he could.

"My dear, Number Five will be getting his old body back. Well, technically it'll be his 'new body' but all the same. He'll be back to his old self in no time." She explained to her.

(Y/n) didn't know what to think. A part of her didn't want Five to turn back to his older body, she kinda enjoyed having someone her age mentality also be her physical age at the same time. She had been so alone all this time for so long, what was she going to do when Five went back to normal? It was a selfish wish to want Five to stay young, but she knew he wasn't really happy in his thirteen year old body.

"Oh." She said simply. (Y/n) couldn't bring herself to look at Five.

"Oh, that reminds me. I have something for you." The blonde woman pressed a button on her intercom. "Carla?"

"Yes?" A high voice answered.

"Would you bring the box in, please?"

"Certainly."