Chapter 5 • Run Boy Run

❤︎

17 years ago...

As Grace set the record onto the player, it began to rotate and a man's voice emitted from the player. After getting everything prepared for dinner, the blonde woman walked over to the entrance and rang a gold hand bell loud enough for everyone to hear.

Upon hearing the ring, several footsteps stepped down the stairs and into the dining room. One by one, they all came into the room and stood in front of their seats at the table, waiting. They waited for the man, who sat at the head of their table, to come in. Once he did, he pulled out his own chair and stared down the eight children.

"Sit."

Hearing the signal, they all took their seats and began to dig into their meals. Luther and Allison shared smiles while trying, but failing, to hide them. Diego was carving into the wooden arm of his chair, Klaus was rolling up a cigar, and Ben read a new book that he had gotten. Vanya was eating without any distractions and (Y/n) swirled the water inside her cup while chewing on some vegetables.

Five, however, was staring down his father from his end of the table. He sat across from (Y/n), Vanya was next to her, and the girl could see her friend begin to get worked up. She sighed internally, she knew where this was going.

Loudly, and quite dramatically, Five stabbed his knife into the table. The action grabbed the attention of everyone in the room and scaring the shit out of the (h/c) haired girl.

"Number Five?" Reginald asked.

"I have a question." Five began to say.

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules: no talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson."

Five lightly tossed his spoon onto the table with a clang, his jaw clentching in frustration.

"I want to time travel." He confessed.

"No."

"But I'm ready!" Five insisted. "I've been practicing my spacial jumps, just like you said!"

For a demonstration, the boy stood up from his seat and jumped right next to his adoptive father. "See?"

(Y/n) couldn't help but rub her temples. She knew Five's determination to time travel, and his stubborness was going to make him go past limits he shouldn't cross.

"A spacial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depts of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn." Their father explained, taking a sip of wine from his cup.

"I don't get it."

"Hence the reason you're not ready."

Five glanced over to (Y/n) and Vanya, seeing the two of them shake their heads. Ignoring this, Five pressed on.

"I'm not afraid."

"Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable. Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore!" Reginald objected.

Wondering what was his next move, (Y/n) switched glances from their "father" to Five. She watched as the dark haired male stormed out of the dining room, everyone looking over as well.

"Number Five! You haven't been excused!" But Five continued to run out of the Academy doors. "Come back here!"

(Y/n) was about to stand up and go after her friend, but Vanya's hand gripped her arm tightly. Although she was saying so no words, (Y/n) could see in her best friend's eyes that she was begging her to stay. Looking back to the door then Vanya, the girl sighed as she once again, took her seat.