Chapter 3 • The Funeral

❤︎

The two wanted to hold onto each other forever, but the footsteps behind them snapped them out of their fantasy.

"Hey guys, oop-" Klaus barged into the room. "I certainly hope I wasn't interrupting something. Because that would be just terrible-"

"What do you want, Klaus?" Five asked, annoyed. By now, both of them had split from the embrace.

"Luther says we're gonna start the funeral in, like, five minutes. So no canoodling within that time, okay?" Klaus pointed his finger at the two best friends accusingly.

"'Canoodling?'" (Y/n) wrinkled her nose at the word.

"We'll be down in a bit." Five said, turning back to (Y/n).

When Klaus didn't leave, Five snapped.

"You can leave now, you know?" Five sarcastically said.

"Okay, okay, geez. No need to be so mean." Klaus waved his hand as he began to leave.

Thinking he was finally gone, Five and (Y/n) face each other once more. The two stared at each other for a moment, just taking in each other's presence until Five began to speak.

"(Y/n), I-"

The boy was interrupted by another voice.

"Are you two just gonna stare at each other or is eighth base gonna come later?-"

A bright red orange flame flew to Klaus' feet causing him to shriek and finally leave the room.

Five laughed at (Y/n)'s annoyance to her adoptive brother. Even after all this time, she was still the same.

"Sorry, you know I get pretty heated when he makes comments like that." (Y/n) smiled.

Five groaned at the pun. "Still with the puns?"

"Duh." (Y/n) then felt a slight pressure on her right hand. Looking down, she could see that the two of their hands were conjoined.

Five glanced down to see what she was looking at and saw their hands as well. The two turned back to each other before letting go, turning away from each other as they tried to ignore what had just happened.

"We-We should probably get downstairs before Luther brings his ass up here." (Y/n) suggested.

"Yeah, we should."

But in his mind, Five wanted to stay alone in that room with her forever while their hands held each other again.

-

Rain poured from the once bright now dark sky, fitting into the mood of what was about to take place. Water dripped down the statue of Ben Hargreeves as the Hargreeves family entered the courtyard.

While the rest of the Umbrella Academy, including Mom and Pogo, had black umbrellas (apart from Klaus having a pretty pink one), Diego, Luther and (Y/n) had nothing and just let the rain fall onto them. Although it didn't seem to bother them that much.