Chapter 22 • One Day at a Time

❤︎

"No! No! (Y/n)!"

Darkness.

"I can't just leave her!"

There was just darkness.

"You killed (Y/n)..."

'Wait... who was the one screaming again?'

That's all she could see. Pure darkness. The moment her eyes opened, there was nothing just a complete void of nothingness and darkness for miles as it seemed.

'Am I... Am I dead?' She thought.

She took a few steps forward, her body somehow moving on the flat surface of blackness. She reached out her hand to grab onto anything, to see if there was at least something she could feel.

And there was.

Something cold and hard like metal met her hand. Feeling around even more, she could feel that her hand had wrapped around the object, as it was large enough to fit her hand width. A doorknob. Seeing this, she decided to move the knob.

The moment she turned the metal knob, a screeching sound pierced her ears as a large, rectangular gap opened within the void. The light blinded her for a moment, her face scrunched up and eyes squinted due to the brightness. But once she was used to it, she instinctively began to walk forword into the light.

-

October 1, 2016

The ride to New Jersey felt long and painful. Although the excitement she felt never ceased, only gradually increasing with every minute she drove closer to the address plastered on the sheet inside the folder.

She drove for about an hour, not taking one break or stop in the middle of it. She wanted to get to the location as fast as she could.

'What do I say? What do I start with? Maybe... "Hey Mom! I'm your daughter that you gave away twenty-seven years ago. Nice to meet you,"?' (Y/n) almost wanted to physically cringe at the words in her head.

'Just don't fuck it up.'

Finally, she took one last turn on the street and slowed down upon seeing the abundance of apartments that looked identical to each other. Across the street was another collection of apartments conjoined together. The amount of them seemed to go on for another block.

She took another glance to the numbers in the folder and then looked back up, checking each apartment number to see which matched.

A soft white painted apartment stared back at her through the car window, the matching address in the folder in close to completely rusted gold numbers nailed next to their front door. This was it, this was her mother's home.

Taking one deep breath, (Y/n) exited the car, making sure to take the creme colored folder with her as well. She made her way to the cement stairs that would lead her up to the front door, her heart and thoughts racing. With each step, one thing was always repeating in her mind.