Chapter 17 • The Day That Was

❤︎

On the seventh hour of the first day of October, 1989, a woman went into labor. This was unusual in no way whatsoever. The culmination of a normal, average pregnancy. The child was average in every way. Unfortunately for the world, the circumstances of his raising... were anything but.

-

17 years ago...

Dozens of people lined up against the barracades and fences of the street, adults and children alike. Many held up their signs and yelled out just to have a chance to catch the attention of one of the upcoming Umbrella Academy children. They cheered and applauded as the familiar black car of Reginald Hargreeves pulled up in front of the Academy.

"I see them! I see the car!"

The applause and cheers grew louder as one by one from all doors, the young teens of the Academy in their respective uniforms and domino masks stepped out onto the street.

"Spaceboy! My favorite!"

"Look! It's The Witch!"

"Can I get a picture with you Allison?!"

"Diego! Diego, I'm your biggest fan!"

Each of the children secretly reveled in their fame, but at the same time despised it. As their father had told them, they all kept their faces straight and walked past the crowds to their home. But (Y/n), her brooding face was turned downward towards the ground.

A month had passed by since the disappearance of the Umbrella Academy's Number Five, making them down one member. They had no time to grieve, as what their father had told them constantly. (Y/n) never listened to him. Silently, at night, she would cry herself to sleep after Vanya and her would set up a snack and leave the lights on, for the slightest bit of hope that he came back home.

But with the security cameras that her adoptive father placed in their rooms to look after them, their attempts had ceased and her crying had stopped after Reginald scolded her, telling her that those emotions would levae her vulnerable during missions and training.

The amount of hatred she had for that one man was indescribable.

Suddenly, an unfamiliar boy ran past the barricade and grabbed onto a surprised Allison's wrist.

"Excuse me. I'm your biggest fan!" He cried.

The young girl just stood there, not knowing what to say until Luther yanked at the boy's clothes.

"Hey, hey. You're not supposed to be in here." He said.

"Get back behind the barricade!" Reginald Hargreeves' voice boomed over the crowd's cheers.

While the rest of her adoptive family entered the house, (Y/n) stayed behind and watched, as she was the last in line anyway.

"It's just... I was born on the same day as the Academy kids. I think I'm like them. I must be." He inisted. "I haven't quite figured out what my power is... yet. But maybe with your help, we can find out."

Reginald bent down to the boy's height level.

"You have no power. You will never have power. Now, go home." The elder man stated, unamused of the scene the boy was causing.

Upon hearing this, the boy's face became heartbroken. The sight made (Y/n) feel guilty and pity for him. It looked almost just like the exact face Vanya would have whenever she was constantly rejected to join in on training.