Chapter 4 • Absolutely Nothing

❤︎

The car came to a harsh hault as the two parked in front of a familiar childhood place. To (Y/n), Griddy's Doughnuts looked just as beat down and mediocre as it did when she was an actual 13 years old. The old memories of her coming with Five, Vanya and the others here came to her like a blur.

"Griddy's? Really?" (Y/n) snorted.

"Well, it's either this or we go to Walmart. So let's just get going." Five, slightly impatient, exited the car.

The two of them rushed into the small diner together. The place was completely empty apart from them, and it was silent compared to the loud chatter it usually held. Sitting down at the bar, Five rang the bell twice.

There wasn't an answer right away so the two ended up having to wait a few minutes. While in that time, Five began to remember how Diego mentioned 'experiments' earlier in the courtyard. He didn't want to push his boundaries, but his curiousity got the best of him.

"Diego mentioned something about what dad did to you. The experiments? What did he mean by that?" Five asked.

(Y/n) visibly stiffened in her seat as his words. Small flashes and memories appeared in her mind,  years of being tested on, the experiments her "father" did to her.

The painful nights she spent in the infirmary.

The nights she couldn't even sleep because she was crying so much.

The horrible things Reginald made her do.

She hadn't even realized she spaced out until Five's hand was placed over her own, snapping her out of her own memories.

"(Y/n), you okay?"

"W-What?" (Y/n)'s gaze went back to Five. "Oh. Sorry. It's just... maybe I'd rather tell you another time."

Five sighed. Of course her stubborness would get in the way of the truth. "You sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure. Besides," (Y/n) leaned in a bit closer to the dark haired boy. "I know for a fact that I'm not the only one keeping secrets. What are we really doing here, Five?"

Five nearly gulped at the closeness of the girl. It's been forty-five years and she still managed to get him flustered.

"We're getting coffee. Once we're done here, I need you to go home, okay?" Five told her. He then dinged the bell again, impatiently.

"I don't think you understood me earlier when I said that I'm not going to let you go anymore alone anymore." (Y/n) scoffed.

"Fine. But you need to stick with me at all times." Five added.

Why was it so important that she stayed by his side at all times? The girl was about to learn that soon. Before she could press on, the door of the diner opened and in came an older man with an outfit that just screamed truck driver. (Y/n) gave Five a look that basically said, "This conversation isn't over yet."

The man sat next to Five on his left, taking off his hat and exhaling deeply in exhaustion. The three of them sat in an awkward silence for a bit until a middle aged platinum blonde woman wearing a bright pink and white work uniform came from the back room. (Y/n) recognized her immediately as Agnes, one of the only workers whose stayed at the diner since she was actually 13 years old.

"Sorry, the sink was clogged." She apologized, taking out her notepad. "So, what'll it be?"

"Uh, give me a chocolate eclair." The man said.

"Mmhmm, sure." Agnes then turned to the two young kids next to the man, thinking that the three of them came in together.

"Can I get the two kids a glass of milk or something?" She asked.