Chapter 21 • Changes

❤︎

WARNING: Blood, gore and needles, mental abuse and manipulation

❤︎

The house was dark by the time they arrived back at his home, streets were empty and no one walked by on the path in front of the house. Thus, no one could see the sight of Harold and a blood covered Vanya enter through the garage door.

The brunette zombily walked into the kitchen, her mouth gaped open a little as she stared with her empty eyes down at the floor. The man behind her switched on the light and began to set his things down onto the kitchen counter.

"We're safe here for a bit. We can't stay long. We gotta pack our things." Harold informed the brunnette.

However, the woman just stood there, staring down at the tiled floor.

"Vanya? Vanya." He called to her, but she gave no response. Sighing, he reached over to lightly grab her wrist and led her out of the kitchen.

"Let's clean you up."

After helping her take off all of the bloody clothing, Harold brought her into the bathroom and turned the knob for the bath. Once the tub was filled halfway with water, he carried Vanya into it. The woman had no more strength to fight back anymore.

Harold gently, and as comforting as he could, scrubbed off all of the remaining blood off of her hands. Vanya sat in a fetal position in the bathtub, her empty gaze fixated on bloody water.

"Your family, they'll be coming for us soon." He told her. "It's okay. You don't have to worry. We're a team now. Take the fight to them."

For the first time since they left the cabin, Vanya spoke in a soft and raspy voice, "Why would they be coming for me?"

Harold chuckled softly. "Vanya... you killed (Y/n)."

"No, I... I lost control. Everything just happened so fast..." She denied. She didn't know if she was trying to convince Harold or herself.

"I know. I know. It's not your fault. You were protecting yourself. But that's not how they'll see it." He said.

"No. I'll--I'll explain it to them. Uh, I just need to get to them and I--I need to explain it to them. I wouldn't hurt (Y/n). Five knows I wouldn't hurt her on purpose." She replied.

Vanya thought back to Five. They too, even after years of jealousy, were good friends. He trusted her, almost just as much as (Y/n) trusted her. Surely he would believe her, he would see that she truly meant no harm. Five had to believe her. He would... right?

"They wanna hurt you. I'm the only one on your side who understands... just how special... you truly are. I knew it the first time I met you. I see it now as I look at your face. But they don't see it. They never have. They never will."

Harold smiled at her, but even as Vanya wasn't facing him, she could now feel that uneasiness that Allison had told her about before. The small grin that used to make butterflies flutter in her stomach, now made her feel sick.

The brown haired man stopped scrubbing. "(Y/n), she didn't see you as special like I did. I thought she saw me different too, a long time ago."

A memory came back into Vanya's mind. The boy (Y/n) had helped that one day when her family came back home. Perhaps was he the same boy?

"What... what do you mean?" She asked.

"(Y/n) helped me long ago, and she gave me two gifts. The first, was a very special souvenir, I've kept it for years. And the second one... was the gift of courage. She helped me find the courage to do something I've longed to do for years. And I still got punished for it. So you see, she can't help you, Vanya. She can't see you as special as much as I do." He went to brush her hair lovingly, but the woman flinched back, not liking the action anymore.