4.1: When You Can't Use Your Resume For a Job Interview

"We can't give the location of the castle to anyone."

"If we don't hire you, I'll take you wherever you need to go, so you don't have to worry."

Shun nodded, bewildered by the way Craig spoke; it was as if Shun's rejection had already been decided. With Craig holding his right arm and Gin holding his left, Shun walked for a few more minutes before he was placed in what he assumed was a carriage.

Just as Shun was about to get nauseous from the rocking of the carriage on the roughly paved road, a far cry from the smooth asphalt roads he was accustomed to, the carriage finally came to a stop, and he was brought into a building.

Once the blindfold was removed, Shun was left reeling under the assault of the bright lights in the room, blinking several times to adjust. The first thing he saw was Craig, who was lighting the fireplace. Even though it was only early autumn, it was still very cold that night. Shun was relieved by the warmth that the fire brought.

His first impression of the room that it was a European inspired living room with an atelier that had been divided into two. The walls were a warm, chocolate wood, and the fireplaces was built with fine, well-aged red bricks. There were several sofas and couches made of cloth, facing in various directions, and in the middle, there was a large wooden table. On the table there was a lamp that appeared to be in the shape of an animal, a spread out map, a round instrument that looked like a compass, and a large, screw-like object that Shun had no clue the purpose of was.

The wall to the left from the doorway where Shun was standing, was filled with ceiling-high bookshelves. The shelves were packed with books with red and green leather covers that were titled with gold and silver foil, and several wooden stepladders were left leaning against them.

He tilted his head slightly at the scene he couldn't remember. The atmosphere was similar, but Shun felt like the room was smaller than in the stills from the game.

"Sit down," Craig motioned toward the sofa nearest to Shun.

Shun wasn't afraid to sit down, and Craig sat down in a chair that sat across the low table from him. Craig's gaze bored through Shun. Shun looked around the room involuntarily for help, but he couldn't see if Gin had gone to the back room to drop off the bag from before.

Shun knew that Craig wasn't a bad person, and because Craig was about to interview him, it was only natural for Craig to level him with such a harsh gaze. However, it was a bit difficult for him to endure without a buffer.

Shun had to admit, he hadn't been able to complete Craig's route. So he didn't actually know that much about him.

Craig Thurwolf was the head of Dawn Fog, a Bondsman's Guild1, that specialized in hunting down criminals with bounties on them. In addition to bounty hunting, Dawn Fog was renowned in the area for its prowess, also providing bodyguards and participating in demon subjugation.

Although providing escort and bounty hunting was legal with a license, demon subjugation was carefully overseen and controlled by the Church. In other words, Dawn Fog was illegally providing these services, and as Shun had mentioned before, Craig was a "dangerous" and "risky" criminal.

Despite this, the amount of residents making requests to Dawn Fog was endless because the Church's fees were unaffordable. Although he was considered a bandit, Craig was also the first prince of the Wolf Country, which bordered the northern part of the Butterfly Country, that was believed to be dead.

His background setting was very good.

However, it was a shame that the foreshadowing of this was done too poorly and Shun realized it all at the very beginning of Craig's route that Craig was the prince of the neighboring country and that the happy ending was where Craig returned to his country and succeeded the throne, making the heroine his queen.