Chapter 19: Trembling Night

Shun woke up from a warm dizziness when he heard a crackling sound.

Another burst of orange sprung up from the firewood in Shun's view that he could see from where he was lying on a soft object. He was surrounded by unfamiliar furnishings and a fireplace. Where on earth is this place!? Shun slowly sat up without thinking.

"You're awake?"

He was surprised by the low, sweet voice, and he saw Craig sitting in a chair beside the bed.

He was wearing a collarless shirt, belt and trousers. Why was he dressed so casually and beside Shun's bed?

"Well...?"

When he raised his hand to brush his bangs out of his eyes, the blanket slipped down and exposed his bare shoulders.

...why is he naked?

A confused expression spread across Shun's face. However, he remembered everything when he met Craig's sullen expression.

"Ahhh!"

He turned bright red and quickly wrapped the blanket tighter around himself. He felt like his head was going to explode.

Above all, he didn't want to stay naked. Let's get dressed. Let's put on pants. Then he can think about everything else.

"...Here."

As Shun was digging through the sheets with a single-minded focus, clothes were held out toward him from the side. Of course, they were from Craig, and Shun reached for them despite his nervousness.

Although Shun thought he was used to the complicated royal clothing, there were still so many useless layers that it took a lot of time to put it on. Neither of them said a word, and the uncomfortable air was filled with the sounds of a crackling fire and rustling clothing.

The buttons on his shirt were hardly functional. He put on his jacket, finished tightening his belt, and reddened when he realized something. He was clean. The sheets hadn't felt uncomfortable.

"Craig, did you clean up?"

When he asked this while touching his belly, Craig looked away and confirmed his thoughts.

"Well, thank you."

Craig really looked at Shun this time. There was a subtle expression on his handsome face.

"What you should be saying is not 'thank you', but a complaint."

"What? Huh... Oh, sure! Why did that happen!? Is it because you're a wolf?"

Once Craig pointed that out, it seemed like Shun's brain finally started working. At the same time, he was feeling a bit ashamed and his voice grew faster.

"Explain it properly."

Craig rose from his chair. In contrast to the quiet movement, Shun retreated back toward the bed.

Craig laughed a little when he saw his reaction. It was a self-deprecating laugh that left no choice but to give up. Shun's heart ached.

"I'm really sorry. I won't do anything to you. ...can I sit next to you?"

Shun had no choice but to nod in response to his sincere voice. A little bit away from Shun, Craig sat down on the bed.

"I'm from the Wolf Country," he began. As Shun had remembered from the game, his name was Craig Thurwolf, the First Prince of the Wolf Country. He was supposed to be dead and ran away alone, but Dian later followed him.

He calmly described his known background from the game.

"Have you ever read the myth of the Wolf Country?"