Chapter 8: The Love Affairs of Younger People

"This day has finally come."

The day after he and Craig finally had a conversation, Shun stood in front of the gate of the central market and was distracted by his emotions.

There was a reason why he was able to suggest something so ridiculous when he was alone with Craig. He has never once tried to hit on Shun.

Gin, Evan, Diane, the group leader, and the other members were all attractive men, and Shun had been on guard for the first two or three days in fear of suddenly being caught in a kabedon. However, no one showed any signs of approaching him.

When Shun realized this, his heart leapt with joy. The heroine must have finally appeared. He was finally released from the (provisional) BL game.

Shun had gained his freedom.

He started to begin with looking around in the central market, which he usually runs by at full speed.

Since Dawn Fog wasn't a strict company(1), he didn't have any specific working hours.

Sometimes there was an emergency call made around five o'clock in the morning when a bounty appeared, and on days where there was no work, they would gather in the evenings just to make merry.

Shun had gotten to the office around nine and decided to go home before dark.

There were days when he wanted to work overtime to sort through the wreckage, but he was afraid of seeing dangerous people like he had the other day. Plus, he didn't want to listen to the high-pitched complaints of his white, pumpkin-shaped governor(2), so he decided to return to the castle earlier as he was told.

Apparently his governor didn't like that he wasn't promoted because he was entrusted with a good-for-nothing(3) like Shun.

While Shun sympathized with him, Shun was also troubled by his inability to pass up the opportunity to scold Shun every time to vent his frustrations.

Today, however, the governor had returned home for the birth of his grandchild, so it was a great opportunity for Shun.

Shun asked Aria, the lady-in-waiting who had become his personal maid because of the cake-cutting incident, to come to his room. She was dressed in inconspicuous, brown commoner's clothing and ready.

Shun passed through the gates one step at a time and looked closely at the shop towards the end.

Oh, how wonderful a world it is when he isn't constantly being kabedoned!

As expected, the central market was the biggest, and there were many clean shops selling fresh fruits, open-air shops offering up bone-in meat that was said to be eaten by bandits, and jewelry shops where young women happily picked out hair ornaments.

The currency of the world is "gai"(4), and when he looked at price of a large piece of pastry bread being 100 gai, he had a feeling that gai was about equal to yen.

It was easy to understand.

For the first time, Shun felt like he was using money with no worries or expectations, and he walked straight from the castle along the rugged, stone-paved road.

Shun was impressed by the beautifully cut, orange melon and strawberries at a fruit shop and bought some of it that was stacked on a bamboo skewer.

A fruit about the size of a golf ball that the owner explained to him were apples, but the peeled fruit was bright red. It was cut in the shape of a rose to match the color, and Shun felt childish excitement.

It didn't matter how much he saw, it simply wasn't enough.

There were curious goods everywhere.