Chapter 23: The Search For The Heroine Failed

Beneath the royal palace, there was a luxurious, hot springs facility designed for the royal family. Shun had thought there were no bathing customs because it was a medieval, European world. However, like in ancient Rome, it was commonplace to cleanse and warm your body in a bath or hot spring as it was healing. Fortunately, Shun could also go there whenever he had time.

"Ha, paradise."

When Shun sunk his shoulders in the hot water at the reserved bath, a line that mad him sound like an old man came out. It couldn't be helped as it was already an ingrained Japanese habit. He relaxed his stiff shoulders and back by stretching and rubbed his sore legs and arms.

His stiff shoulders were a byproduct of long hours spent studying, and his muscle fatigue was a byproduct of his hellish training regimen that had been made by his newly appointed governor. Remembering the latter events, Shun hugged himself and shuddered. After the training, it would take him five minutes to move even one meter in the morning due to muscle pain.

Additionally, there was the severe limitations on magic that when eliminating muscle pain with it would negate all of the previous training. It was still fresh in Shun's memory, and he lamented aloud, "I had a feeling that that was the case!" However both his magic and sword skills had improved, although at the pace of a tortoise.

The sixty-year-old Schweitzer was a man of clarity, wisdom, experience and dignity. Shun had learned from the maid's rumors that he had been born a commoner, and that he was promoted to the Flower Country's staff with only his magical prowess and intelligence.

Despite his reputation, Schweitzer had managed to make remarkable progress with Shun, such as his ability to use magic on the first day. His instructions were easy to understand, and he instantly read the intent of his questions and gave accurate answers. As Shun had also once been an educator, he appreciated his talents. Let's ignore his bragging about his grandson for the time being.

But why was such a talented person placed in charge of Shun, who was far away from ascending the throne...?

Shun vigorously straightened his back, which had been leaning against the marble edge of the bath. The water splashed with his movement.

"A harbinger of the war of succession...?"

Shun's whole body grew cold, even though he was soaking in a warm bathtub. It was rumored that the other lower princes, besides him, also had new governors.

This had to be preliminary preparations for the princes to fight each other.

Shun panicked. The youngest son, who was now Shun, was killed in the war of succession.

However, the war of succession was an event that took place after the middle section of the story. Shun died leaving some scars on the heroine's heart, but he hasn't even met her yet.

Over the last few months, he had left his plan for the heroine and Craig to live to bright old age together on the back burner. Shun had been more focused on adjusting to his new job and keeping himself from saying things he wasn't supposed to, but the main reason was that the heroine was still nowhere to be found.

The heroine was key to his plans, but she still hadn't appeared anywhere, not even around Craig. There is no end to the lost plot events, but considering his circumstances, it was unlikely that all hope was lost. He kept looking around the royal palace, and listening to the maid's rumors with his grandpa guard, but he couldn't find her.

The story was moving forward without the heroine. In other words, Shun's future knowledge was becoming useless.

Shun's heart was filled with anxiety. He walked out of the bathroom in a daze, suddenly coming to when he was pulling on his clothes. On his wrist that was usually hidden with a bracelet was some kind of bruise. Shun didn't remember bumping into anything. Was it pigmentation left by the magic stone?