Chapter 21: If You Encounter a Beast, Slowly Retreat

This chapter was brought to you by Anonymous. Thank you so much for donating!

-----------

He had abandoned his country and his status and was still looking for a positive wat to live, even though his life as a human being was at a crossroads.

He should have a happy ending. What would it take for him to achieve that? How could Craig get control over his wolf and keep it from awakening?

* * *

Someone was calling. No, they're calling Shun. It was a dark road. He could see a golden light in the distance. It guided him like Polaris, floating over the sea at night — no, a shining, golden double-edged sword. Someone was about to swing it down.

A beautiful wolf, who had a coat like melted gold and silver, walked towards it.

"A prince does not straighten his crown before a Li."

His governor had told him so.

Shun suddenly opened his eyes. He was in a dim, windowless room. However, as soon as he spotted the clock on the wall, he was completely awake and hit the giant, fur ball next to him. The fur ball, also known as Craig, leapt out of the bed.

"There's someone I have to see in the morning! If I'm late, I'll be dead in the water!"

"Huh?"

* * *

"Thank you! I think I can make it in time."

With Craig's help, Shun managed to dismount the black horse, arrived at the First Avenue gate, and stroked his chest to settle his heart down. He had thought he was going to be late, but Craig had brought him quickly on his horse. He had hesitated at first to be so close to him because of before, but he couldn't say anything once they set out at a tremendous speed. So he had hung onto his waist desperately.

To be honest, Shun had wanted to ride Craig like the wolves in Princess Mononoke(1). He had wanted to ask him, but then he had remembered that it wasn't possible...

   1. It's an amazing movie directed by Hayao Miyazaki. I would recommend watching it. I know Netflix has licensed a bunch of Studio Ghibli films outside of the US, so.... but if you haven't seen it, I'll include a screencap of San riding one of her wolf siblings(?)

"I wanted to ask you a question."

He had an hour left before his governor's visit. He had to take this opportunity to ask.

"Why did you chase me last night after telling me to stay away? I was terrified!"

The main reason was because Shun unlocked the gate, but the wolf wouldn't have to chase him if his impulse had been suppressed. No matter how many lives he had, there certainly wasn't enough to last him while being chased by a giant carnivore in the dark. But Craig laughed, replying something similar to what he had the night before.

"I'm sorry I frightened you, but if you run away, I can't help but want to give chase."

"Beast...!"

"It's wolf."

Shun was both convinced and feeling exhausted at the same time. Now that he thought about it, he had read on SNS that if you encountered a bear in the mountains, you shouldn't run away but retreat slowly.(2)

   2. This is actually true. Grizzly (US common bear) and Black (common in Japan) Bears both have powerful forelegs and can run up to 35mph (56km/h) which is faster than the fastest human's top speed of 27mph(43km/h). Additionally, if you happen to encounter one (I've seen one chowing down in a garbage bin, minding his own business, before) you are suppose to leave slowly and avoid eye contact (most animals see eye contact as aggressive behavior), and if it charges, you're supposed to stand your ground, not scream, and hopefully you've got pepper spray to defend yourself. Fun Facts!