Chapter 7: It Didn't Work Out

Although Craig had warned Shun not to get to close to him, they were still colleagues, and seeing as Craig was the group's head, the opportunity for them to talk to each other still came.

The best example of this was during Craig's income and expenditure report.

"A Barn Merchant on 2nd Avenue paid me 39,522 for the guy on the eighth, and I got fifty thousand for the thief I caught on the tenth."

Shun moved his hand toward Craig's report in the chair next to him.

He didn't look up as he inked the quill, which was difficult for him to use since he was used to ballpoint pens, and wrote the numbers into the A4 account book.

"And yesterday's bodyguard's payment was 800,000."

Come to think of it, he was a bodyguard.

Craig peered over at the first page of the account book in Shun's hand as he was adding the word "guard" to the list of sorting items.

"Did you make this yourself?"

Shun was so startled he almost fell out of his chair. He never expected Craig to speak to him.

It was true that they exchanged words that were essential to perform their jobs, but it really was the bare minimum.

Craig didn't know if the newcomer, Shun, was messing around, so the income and expenditure report always went straight to him from Shun.

Even in situations like the current one where Shun is informed of payments, the rule of "keep away from me" was usually still enacted. Craig usually read out the amount from business partners from the chair or the desk near Shun and then left without hesitation.

Craig put down the notes of the report from Gin and the other members of the group and looked at Shun suspiciously.

Shun couldn't say that Craig was the one who told him not to talk, so he sat up in his chair and nodded at the question.

He was sure that Craig already knew this, but their previous ledger was in shambles.

Although the dates were stated firmly, it was commonplace to see over the course of the month duplicate details written twice or thrice, and it was impossible to tell whether the month was even in the red or black, let alone the final net profit or loss, because the information was just jotted down in a messy manner.

At the beginning, it was clear that Craig had been solely in charge of it as it was in a clear, easy-to-understand format.

However after that, their number of people in Dawn Fog increased, and the accounting was relinquished to others, subsequently causing it to be unclear and incomprehensible.

For a moment, I had felt hopeful upon unearthing the beautiful ledger, but then he received the ledger from Gin that was convoluted from the accumulated entries.

To make matters worse, Gin's explanation was entirely unhelpful from the way he prefaced it with, "I don't really understand it well."

For the time being, Shun knew that he couldn't rely on anyone else and started to do something on his own.

Although Shun had never submitted a white paper(1) before since he was banned from working as a sideline, but Shun has done bookkeeping and kept a household account book.

While casually listening to the castle's previous bookkeeper, Shun managed to draw a line on a brand new notebook and made his own account book with the dates listed vertically and business partners and sorting items on the side.

Each page included the weekly balance, and with that, Shun could easily calculate in his head the final monthly gains or losses to list on the final page of the book.