Chapter 17: Do You Like Beautiful Wolves?

"...the die is just a regular one. There's no magic, right?"

Let's go again! Shun pulled on Gin's sleeve and whispered in his ear. For some reason, he was kept at a distance.

"My salary might decrease, so please, don't get so close to me... dice?"

Shun didn't know how that would effect his pay but nodded at his suggestion. Gin hid it with his body, so that it wouldn't be seen by the other person and pointed his thumb at the full table where Dougray was seated.

"It's not only the dice, but it shouldn't be possible to cast any magic in casinos. If cheating goes unchecked, they'll go under immediately. This casino also employs a few skilled magicians to prevent anyone from casting spells. And there it is."

Gin, who sat back in the chair, pointed to the corner of the table. Clear stones were fitted into the four corners of a beautifully polished wooden structure.

"It's a magic sealing stone. In contrast to the magic stones that work as a catalyst or a substitute, it weakens or invalidates magical power. The stone is embedded into tables and at key points in the casino. It costs a lot of money, but it's riskier to not have it."

Shun was able to find the stones in all four corners of the table. Now that he was looking, he noticed that all the dealers wore transparent brooches on their chests. Was it to protect them from anyone who might try to attack them with magic?

They were broken when the magic was used went beyond its limit, but at that point, the use of it was exposed, so defensive measures could be taken. Although Shun understood it, he couldn't explain the discomfort he felt. Shun turned his gaze back to the table a few meters away.

"It's a simple game where you roll a six-sided die and guess the sum, right? It looks like they're rolling three dice right now, but I think the odds are a bit strange."

"The odds?"

"The chance of getting eight is seven out of seventy-two rolls, but you've rolled it eighteen times, and hit eight three times. The chance of hitting sixteen is four out of thirty-six rolls, and you've hit it four times."

"I don't know what you're saying."

Shun continued to stare at the table without noticing Gin, who was keeping his distance from him again, further deepening his suspicions. This time the roll was one, one and one, equaling three. This was the second time this had been rolled even thought the chance of it happening was only one out of twenty-six rolls.

"With three six-sided dice, the common denominator is 216, or six to the third power."

"Is that a long story?"

"And when the figures are suspicious, Dougray is betting a lot of money on them."

"...really?"

Soon after Shun pointed this out, a large number of chips were drawn to Dougray.

"If we can figure out the trick, we might be able to get them to back off of Carolina."

Gin was stunned for a few seconds by Shun, who laughed at him, and he made a slight face and said, "You're surprisingly brave, aren't you?"

For the time being, it was getting too late into the night, and Shun was about to leave when he stood up and bumped into someone. In front of him was a brown-skinned man with long, dark brown eyes and visible scars on his forehead.

His glossy, black hair was tied up behind him that seemed about the same color as Shun's, and he cut a very handsome, Latin figure.

No matter how it looked, the man, who was obviously from a noble background, did not react at all to Shun's apology but also did not ignore him, simply looking him up and down from twenty centimeters above Shun.