Burn

Nikel's POV. 
Key

Bold-Nikel singing 

Once I was upstairs I went straight to my room. I pulled out the piece of paper from Crutchie. I looked at it for a moment then unfolded it. It was a letter from him. It said 

Dear Nikel, 
I'se has to tell you'se that Race has met a girl called Lydia/Lyla. We went to a party at Medda's and they met. Race got super drunk and they started dating. I'se should've warned you'se about him. Also if you need us to comfort you go down by the bank we'll go to the forest. Stay strong for me.

 Love Your brother 
Crutchie x.

I re-read it over and over again. The words 'started dating' swirled around in my head. I went into a draw I have. I pulled out all of the letters he wrote to me. My heart felt like it could break at any moment. I ran downstairs and silently weaved past the parting newsies. I went down to the basement. The Brooklyn newsies made a basement for me to practice experiments. As soon as I was down there I grabbed a lantern and lit it up. Then I heard someone come in. "Hey, Nikel I just wanna say that you are dating an Icarus he has flown to close to the sun," Spot said to me. "Also Crutchie and Les are here," he said before leaving. Les and Crutchie came in. "Hey, Niki you okay?" Crutchie asked me. "You okay Nikel?" Les questioned. "No, I'm not!" I shouted. "My boyfriend cheated on me! I trusted him!" I exclaimed. They both sat on the bench. "I saved every letter you wrote me," I began to sing softly. "From the moment I read them, I knew you were mine. You said you were mine. I thought you were mine." "Do you know what Spot said when we saw your first letter arrive?" I sang."He said 'Be careful with that one love, he will do what it takes to survive," I remembered the words  Spot had said to me ages ago when I told him I liked Race before the newsie war. "You and your words flooded my senses, Your sentences left me defenseless," I sung looking at the pile of letters from him. "You built me palaces out of paragraphs, you built cathedrals," the way Race shaped those letters came back to me as I sang this line. "I' re-reading the letters you wrote me," I said picking up one of the letters and the lantern. I placed them down on to the ground before sitting next to the items. "I'm searching and scanning for answers," I sung tears creeping to my eyes. Although I didn't know this at the time Spot was watching and somehow Race was there. "In every line for some kind of sign of when you were mine," when I sang the word mine I saw Race and I felt my heart cracking. "The world seemed to burn," I turned my head away from him and looked at the flickering light in the lantern. "Burn," the rage and sadness in me were starting to take over. "You showed all the letters she wrote you," I sang, "You told the newsies how you cheated on me with this girl," I remember seeing Lydia/Lyla Denton there with her perfect blonde hair. "In making you 'cool' you have ruined my life," I sang looking at Race "Do you know what Spot said when he heard what you'd done?" I asked him still singing. "He said you are dating an Icarus he has flown to close to the sun," Spot joined in with me singing at that part. "You and your words obsessed with your legacy," I sang looking him in the eye. "Your sentences border on senseless," tears started pricking in my eyes. "And you are paranoid in every paragraph How they perceive you,". "You you you," tears were rolling down my face. "I'm erasing myself from the narrative," I sung quietly. "Let future historians wonder how Nikel reacted when you broke her heart," I sung more power creeping up in me. "You have torn it all apart I'm watching it burn," I picked up the paper and lantern. "Burn," I started to burn the letter I could hear Race let out a faint no. "The world has no right to my heart the world has no place in my bed they don't get to know what I said," I picked up the other letters and looked at them. "I'm burning the memories burning the letters that might have redeemed you," I put the letter that I burnt into a bucket and put the other letters in with it. I stood up and looked at him. "You forfeit all rights to my heart," I sang to him the power becoming strong. "You forfeit the rights to all of me," I sing. "You can go see that other girl instead," Race looked down at this. "With only the memories of when you were mine," tears were all over my face. I walk up to Race. "I hope that you burn," I sing to him before running up to my room. Crutchie and Les follow me but not before Les hit Race in the face with his cape. We went up to my room. I clicked a button. I knew this would come in handy one day.