Chapter 9: Reflections

Tara fiddled with the keys to her apartment door. She knew Rachel would be out - Rachel had been waitressing part-time at a diner for the past two months to make some extra cash. Tara and Rachel's two bed apartment in Flushing cost them a lot of money in rent. Thankfully, Tara's income was enough to cover half the rent, but Rachel found it hard to come up with her half at times. Tara often lent her friend money when her budget was tight and Rachel always paid her back in full.
Tara managed to unlock the door and headed into her dimly lit lounge. She switched on a bulb which cast a golden hue across the living area, lighting up the humble abode. She decided that the first thing she wanted was a long bath.
Tara had headed off to work after having lunch with Ian. She owned a flower shop two blocks from her apartment, she had two other assistants working with her, which made for flexible working hours. At the flower shop and on her way back home, she recalled her meeting with Ian several times.
She went into her bedroom, stripped out of her work clothes and drew herself a bath. She put in her favorite musk scented soap along with some bath salts into the water. She sat in once the water reached close to the top. As the water touched her everywhere, she put her head back against the tub and let her body loose. It felt so relaxing; the hassle of the entire day seemed to melt away as she closed her eyes and took in deep, long breaths.

Tara's thoughts drifted back to her unexpected lunch - she couldn't believe how quickly time had passed with Ian at his office. They got rid of their initial awkwardness quite quickly after which Ian related to her stories of Jake and himself as young boys. He talked about them being awkward, shy adolescents who phased out of their initial introvert selfs to adopt a love for sports and rap music, only to become hardcore rock junkies in college. He was quite a charmer once you got to know him, of course his smashing good looks didn't do much of a disservice either. Tara was glad that she got along with him because she knew his opinion really mattered to Jake, she wished that he root for Jake and herself as a couple. She was glad she had this opportunity to get to know Ian a little better, she was bummed about her cancelled date but she would have been even more upset had Ian not asked her to stay over for lunch. She hoped she had made a decent impression on Ian.
Tara's cellphone, which she had placed on the tub side chose to ring interrupting her pleasant musings.
"Hello?"
"Tara, hi! I hope I didn't disturb you." It was Jake on the other line.
"No, Jake. Not at all."
"I wanted to call and apologize again for today, Tara." Jake sounded truly regretful.
Tara tried to ease his guilty conscience, "Jake, come on. You had to work. I know it was important. Plus, I had a lovely time with Ian. He told me so many stories about you guys!"
"He did?!" Jake seemed genuinely surprised.
"Yes!" Tara answered, and after a short pause continued, "I enjoyed myself a lot. But...I do hope we can make up for this soon."
"Oh! I know baby girl. Ian told me you had brought in a picnic lunch...can't believe I missed it."
"I'll make it again for you, don't worry!" Tara massaged her neck as she talked into the phone - the water swirled around her, making spiralling, musical sound.
"Tara, what are you doing right now?" Jake's voice suddenly sounded husky and alert to her ears.
She shyly replied, "I am taking a bath, Jake."
"Really?"
Tara blushed when she heard him say that and then shyly replied, "Yes!"
"So my sweet is naked?"
"Uh-huh."
"Damn!" After Jake made this singular exclamation, there was absolute silence on the line.
"Jake?"
"Yes?"
"Why don't you say anything?"
Jake replied in a strained voice, "I am picturing you in a tub, with no clothes on...."
"Jake, stop it!"
"You are making me insane, Tara. I will die of want."