Chapter 11: Flowers and Weddings

Tara gave last minute touches to a bouquet of flowers on a groomsmen table just before the wedding guests started to arrive. Tara had been florist for weddings before but this one was extra special to her since it was her darling cousin Amber who was getting married. Tara wanted to make sure that everything was perfect and that when Amber walked down the aisle and admired the splendor that was her wedding - she feel a sense of wonderous joy and fulfillment. Tara wanted her cousin to have a fairytale experience; she even assisted the wedding planner whilst completing her own tasks. She wanted her cousin to have no worries, and she wanted everything to be immaculate, spectacular.
Tara wore a peach colored knee-length dress, with a delicate lace flower adorned on the shoulder. She got hold of a pocket-sized mirror from her bag in order to get a good look at her makeup and the curls in her hair. She wanted to look impressive during the ceremony since she was one of the bridesmaids and also because she had invited Jake to the wedding as her plus-one. Tara felt nervous inside, butterflies flew around in her tummy. She kept thinking over her family's reaction to meeting her boyfriend for the first time. She knew Jake would impress them, he was a people's person, so him being liked wasn't going to be a problem but she still felt anxious about him meeting her mom and dad. Tara hoped that Jake also find her family lovable - just like she did.
At around quarter past twelve, the guests started to arrive. Tara spotted Jake entering the venue, she saw him searching the crowd for her, and when their eyes met, they gave each other an endearing smile. All of Tara's nervousness evaporated as soon as she saw Jake, she knew this was going to be a great day.
Half an hour later, Tara went to see Amber to let her know that her groom was now standing at the altar waiting for her to be his, forever! Being at a wedding, celebrating the love between two people, made Tara emotional and jubilant. Knowing that two people could come together in an everlasting bond of marriage and that too, against all odds, made her believe in miracles. She was elated for them; as the couple made their vows to each other, pledging their love and affection to one another, Tara's gaze scanned the crowd and landed on Jake, he was also looking at her, his eyes spoke volumes to her in that moment, they held in them a promise for their future; he envisioned them...together.
After the main ceremony was over and the couple had been pronounced husband and wife, all the guests gathered around the dance floor and witnessed the pair's first dance as a married couple.
Amber was comfortably ensconced in her husband's arms as the band began to play Endless Love. Tara felt Jake cover her hand with his own, in that instance, she knew that Jake had become someone very special to her. Maybe, she was falling in love.
Tara tugged at Jake's shoulder and whispered into his ear, "Ready, to meet my family?"
Jake smiled and nodded at her.
Tara guided him through a throng of guests exchanging pleasantries, to a table where her father and mother sat.
Tara patted her father's shoulder and he turned around, a warm smiled touched his lips as got up to hug his daughter.
"Tara, you have outdone yourself! Everything looks beautiful! I know Amber's really happy!" Saying this he planted a kiss on Tara's cheek.
And then it was her mother's turn to congratulate her, "Everything looks marvellous, my love!"
"Thank you!...Mom, Dad I wanted to introduce Jake Cada to you, my boyfriend!"
"Oh! Jake it is so lovely to meet you!" Tara's mother exclaimed in joy. Jake and her mom embraced each other in a warm hug.
Tara's father's gaze was far more discerning than her mother's. Tara could see his overprotective side reflecting in his firm handshake, "Jake, Tara's been telling us a lot about you."
"I hope they were all good things, sir!"
Tara's father chuckled, "Yes, unfortunately, they were! You see, she is my only child and she and I are very close to each other. Before you, I was the main man in her life...."
Jake interjected, "You are still her main man! I am the new man in her life. I would never try to take the place you have, sir. Rest assured."
Tara's father smiled at him, a silent truce had been reached between the two men, and then they conversed on politics, sports and work.
When Jake had met most of Tara's  extended family, he and Tara headed to the dance floor. Jake guided Tara with his hand, bringing her body close to him with one swift move and they began to slow dance.
"You look breathtaking today, Tara." Jake complimented Tara as he stared into her eyes.
Tara blushed profusely, "Thank you."
"There's just something about weddings, isn't it? They make you believe in the magic of love...."
"Yes...Amber and Dan look so happy! I wish them a lifetime of happiness, I really do. Amber is such an amazing person. So helpful, so sincere! There's no one else who deserves all this happiness more!"
"I can think of another woman who falls in this category...."
"Really? Who...?"
"You! You deserve the world and more!"
"Jake!"
"Tara, I mean it! I really do...I want you to move in with me."
"Jake, are you serious? We have known each other just six months!"
"I am serious, Tara. Dead serious. I want you to live with me, I want you in my life everyday. I want to look at you when I wake up!"
"Jake, I need sometime to think."
"You can take all the time you want, just as long as your answer is yes!"
She smiled at him, the sparkle in her eyes asserted that her answer was most assuredly going to be yes.