9. Realizations

Nishikata's POV

The school opens today. Surely, this was an eventful vacation. From holding Takagi's hand in the summer festival to the sleepover to the mall outing. It was a lot of fun with Takagi. So here I was, walking to the school, somewhat excited to meet Takagi.

When I arrived at the intersection, Takagi was already there. She was waiting for me with her cycle in her hand. When she saw me coming, she greeted me with a warm smile. I smiled back at her. Then, she said, "Let's go, Nishikata."

We were walking towards our school, together. There were sounds of birds chirping and crickets making chrrrrrr. Takagi was exceptionally silent. So, I started a conversation.

"So" I said, "How was your vacation?"

"It was surely a lot of fun."

"Same for me. I had lots of fun. I got to fishing, skateboard and play basketball. And the best part is, I have no homework left to worry about."

"Huh, and that is a thing to worry..." She sighed while she walked.

"So" I continued to sound upbeat "What are your plans now?"

"Not much" She faced me, "And yours?"

"Well, I am planning to study more so that I can beat you."

"Well, good luck."

She again faced the road and started walking.

Eventually, we arrived at the abandoned plot. Takagi suddenly said, "Nishikata, you look good nowadays..."

This sudden compliment triggered my blush and soon I was completely red. I somehow uttered, "T-Thanks"

*

After entering the class, we sat down on our normal seats. First class was Tanabe-sensei. So I got my English books out. He was teaching something. I was bored and so I turned towards Takagi. She was listening to Tanabe-sensei. Suddenly, I got a plan to tease Takagi. I would use my ruler to poke Takagi on her belly. Then she would laugh out loud and get a scolding for that. That is a fool proof plan. And the good thing is, I won't be embarrassed as I will not have to touch her. So, I got my ruler out and slowly moved towards Takagi. But when I was about to reach her, she suddenly turned to me and made that funny face. Instead of her, I started laughing my guts out.

I felt a sudden pain on my forehead and realized that it was a chalk thrown by Sensei. "NISHIKATA!" he yelled at me "HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO TELL YOU THAT THIS IS A CLASS AND YOU SHOULD KEEP QUITE."

Quite embarrassed, I nervously bend down apologetically and said, "S-Sorry s-sir, it w-won't happen again."

I sat. Down and sighed. Then, I turned towards Takagi. She was laughing at me covering her mouth. She teased me again.

*At the recess*

I was roaming around the school to find my friends. Till now, Takagi has managed to tease me 25 times. So, 250 push ups await me at home. I sighed and continued my search. I found them near our classroom. They were chatting. When they saw me coming, Hamaguchi said, "Hey, Nishikata, come join us."

I jogged to them and said, "Nice to see you after so many days, How have you been?"

"We are fine... what about you?" Nakai said.

"Just great. So, what did you do this summer?"

"Nothing much, finished homework, swam, fished, etc" Takao said gloomily.

"So, how was your date with Takagi back at the mall?" Kimura said.

I started to blush. How did they know? Wait, did they see Takagi and me together in the mall?? Oh no, the whole school will come to know about this incident now.