16. Memories- 4. Tandem Riding

Nishikata's POV

Its Saturday, the day Takagi had planned to go to Tandem riding with me. In school, we had planned that I would go to Takagi's house with my bicycle to pick her up. So, there I was, standing in front of the door of Takagi's house, hesitating to ring the doorbell.

After struggling with myself for more than 5 minutes, I finally rang the doorbell. I can feel a blush building up on my face.

After some seconds, which seemed like hours, the door opened, revealing not Takagi, but her mother. She seemed to be a nice woman. When she saw me, she smiled and said, "Oh,, so you must be Nishikata. Come in."

I hesitantly stepped inside as she directed me to the living room. She gestured me to sit down while she made her way to the kitchen. I sat down hesitantly. I looked around to find our class photo from the camping trip above the TV. It was the picture that had me laughing.

I was staring at it when Takagi's Mom returned with some cookies. She said, "Eat some. Its good." She herself picked up a cookie followed by me. I chewed the cookie while staring at the photo. She said, "Takagi will be here soon. I think she is getting ready for your date"

The word 'date' triggered my blush. I quickly turned to her, blushing hard and stuttered, "I-IT'S NOT A DATE! ITS J-JUST A PUNISHMENT T-TAKAGI GAVE ME B-BECAUSE I LOST." I was breathing heavily till I finished my sentence.

She said while taking her hands up in defeat, "Ok Ok, I lose. It's not a date." I kept breathing heavily as I turned my gaze towards the photo again. Surely, what should I have expected from the Takagi's mother.

"You know what, Nishikata; she is always talking about you. When she talks about you, I can see that she is so happy. She loves talking about you I must say. In fact, that photo" she pointed to the photo, "She kept it there so that she can always remember the sweet memories with you in the camping trip. Now stop gaping at it."

I snapped out of my daze and stared towards my foot, slightly blushing.

She continued, "Nishikata, you are the best friend Takagi could probably have. And, I want to thank you for making her happy. I hope that you two can remain happy forever." She smiled while she got up and headed towards the stairs. When she was at the foot of the stairs, she turned to me, smiled and said, "I will call Takagi."

I let out the breath I was holding till now and try to process the things she said. Takagi actually talks about me a lot with her parents. She is happy while talking about me. In fact she enjoys spending time with me. That is evident though. But, what did she mean by keeping Takagi happy forever? Does that mean I have to keep being teased by Takagi only to make her happy? That's a heavy request her mother has asked me. I have to think about...

"BOOM" same old trick and same old reactions. I was already there, lying on the floor, gaping at a smiling Takagi."WHY DO YOU have to always do that?"

"Because I enjoy that." She said and smiled.

I got up and brushed myself while she said, "So, ready for the Tandem riding?"

I nodded. Her mother came down and said, "So, do not mess around with a bike. Be rational about your decisions. Don't go too far and return before sunset."

Both of us nodded and Takagi grabbed my hand and ran towards the exit.

*

We have been riding for almost 1 hour. So I thought, it would be a good time to take a break. We stopped at our favourite candy store. We had some popsicles. In the scorching heat, it tasted like nectar. When we finished, we paid the shopkeeper and got out.