24. Too late

Takagi's POV

After I finished the cleaning duty, I was finally free to go to the candy store. So, I kept the brooms in the closet, took my bag and started to go towards the exit. While going out, I passed the staff room, and noticed that Tanabe Sensei still seemed a bit off. He slowly took his bag and was about to leave when he saw me. He smiled weakly at me and said, "Finished your cleaning duty?"

"Yes sir" I replied.

"Get going, I have to go home too."

"Sure sir."

He sighed and walked past me. But, I saw something that I had never seen before; Tears, in Tanabe Sensei's eyes. I quickly turned around and said, "Sir, are you sure that everything is ok?"

"He turned around and shrugged the laziness off and said, "Yeah, what could possibly be wrong?"

"You really seem a bit off today. Can I help you is some way?"

He smiled and said, "Can you please buy me a pack of candy from the candy store?"

He handed me some money and said, "Sure sir. No problem. I would be going there to buy candy for Nishikata anyway. I will give it to you on Monday."

"Sure"

Tanabe Sensei's POV

"Sure" I said to Takagi.

She nodded and trotted away towards the exit. I was not in the mood to talk to her anymore. The idea of Nishikata leaving has made me so so sad. But I had to stand on the ground and pretend that everything is normal. But, she needs to know the truth, sooner or later. The candy store man will surely ask her. By the time she knows, Nishikata will be gone. Why did he make me promise such an awful thing?

Takagi's POV

When I reached home, my mom suddenly announced that some relatives have come home suddenly and I won't be able to go out now. So boring. I had to chit chat with them until 6pm.

When I got out of my house, I felt like a free bird. But that feeling was temporary as my mom grabbed me from the back and said, "Homework first!"

I sighed and started my homework. It seemed like all the forces of nature were preventing me to buy candies for Nishikata. But I will withstand every blow and go there.

I worked really fast and I was done within 7:30. Then I trotted to the candy store. I entered the candy store and instantly went to search for the best candy for Nishikata. After searching for a while, I found the perfect match. A 100% unrequited love anime candy pack. It was a bit expensive, but anything for him. After handing this over to him, I would confess. Forget about the stupid thought of 'boys should propose girls'

I presented the candy at the counter and said, "Only this, please."

The old man smiled and said, "I think this is a goodbye gift for your friend?" as he scanned the barcode.

A bit confused, I said, "Goodbye gift? For whom?"

"Your friend...I guess"

"Why would a friend of mine leave?"

"Wait, you do not know that?"

"......."

"The boy who once had cup noodles with you here, I thought he was leaving today?"

"Wait, how do you even know that?"

"He came yesterday to have a cup noodles. When he announced that he was leaving for London the next day, I told him to take a candy as a goodbye gift. That's how I know that. I thought he was leaving today. Did he lie to me? Wait, did I just give him a pack of candy for nothing?"