27. Close Call

I need to make a clarification. in the previous chapter, When Nishikata is talking to Takagi, he says, "Its's just that Mitsuo proposed you, and you evenaccepted him that made me sad. I cannot see anyone with you. So I planned allthis." By planned all this, Nishikata wants to say about his plan to going to London. He did not plan about the taxi driver.

Mitsuo's POV

"DOCTOR, PLEASE COME IN!" I heard Takagi's scream from Nishikata's cabin. The doctor rushed inside, followed by me and Kimura. Inside, Takagi was tearing up while Nishikata had a confused look. He said, "Why are you crying. I just asked who you are."

Wait, why is he asking who Takagi is? Is he still mad at her? Kimura had a confused look as well as me and Kimura said, "She is Takagi, don't you remember? She is the one who always teases you. And because this guy proposed her, you were about to leave the country. All this happened and now you don't remember?"

The doctors gestured us to be silent and made Takagi stand away from the bed. He observed Nishikata for once and then said to the nurse, "Prepare for an MRI."

When Nishikata's mother arrived, she was crying all the time. When she saw Takagi seated, I expected her to curse her. But, instead she stopped her crying and hugged her. When they separated, she said, "I have heard everything from Nakai and Mano. I know that you were not in the fault. Please forgive me for blaming you."

Takagi nodded and said, "No, I am sorry. I am the one who caused all this mess."

"Please don't blame yourself, Takagi. I know you love Nishikata. He is the denser one who did not understand it. But I must ask you to go home and rest. It was a long day for you. Your mother must be worried. Just tell her everything clearly."

Takagi nodded and turned to me and said, "Can you walk me to my home?"

I said, "Sure."

*

"So, now tell me what happened back then."

"That's a long story, thank god that I was working part time as a stall vendor in the airport."

*Flashback*

Working is becoming tuff here. There are too many people in here. I should change this job now. I was facing away from the stall when I heard a familiar voice saying, "An espresso, please."

Nishikata! I was sure it was Nishikata. I turned around to see Nishikata paying the other vendor and taking his espresso to a nearby seat. Then he got busy typing something on his phone. I was staring at him, still wondering what has happened when more customers crowded the stall and I got busy.

After an hour, the stall was finally empty. Nishikata was still sitting there, waiting for his, flight? The nearby aero tunnel opened for the Japan to London flight. Nishikata saw it and started to walk slowly towards it. I was about to ask him when my phone rang. Satoshi was calling, a friend of mine form the school. I picked it up and said, "Hello?"

"Mitsuo, Isn't Takagi the girl you proposed once before?"

"Yes, but..."

"And didn't she reject you because she already had a crush on a boy named Nishikata?"

"Yes, but why are you asking this out of the blue?"

"Because, I am standing outside the abandoned plot. She is talking to some boys, telling that that Nishikata is leaving the country because he thinks that Takagi is with you."

"WHAT?!"

"Yes Mitsuo. I thought that you might stop him. She is crying. She is telling that Nishikata has been avoiding her for quite a while now. You need to do something boss, or this girl will blame you for all this mess."