Chapter 7✳️

Alex and I talked after Amy left, what did it mean for us now that Amy knew about us. Did it mean no more hiding. Alex was still upset with his father and didn't want to have to deal with crap from him as well as her. I was mad I was still his secret but I understood he was dealing with a few things at the moment.

We get back to Menden to see Abbey at the door, we called a locksmith and had all the locks changed in the house.

"Hi guys did you all have a good time?" she ask us.

"Apart from Alex's ex-girlfriend showing up it was great".

Abbey hands us each a set of keys and I unlock the front door and put my bags on the floor. Abbey is closing it after Alex when I yell, "Brew anyone?"

"I'll have a tea", shouts Abbey two sugars and coffee for Alex".

I make the drinks and bring them in on a tray for everyone to help themselves.

"So you and Amy broke up then Alex?" Ask Abbey. Looking at Alex you could see she was giving him a chance to tell her about me. I listen hoping he would take it.

"She caught me in bed with Cassie", good old Abbey feign innocence and says. "Friends share a bed all the time I don't see what the big deal is here".

"She knocked on the door in the middle of Cassie and I having sex, then walked in on us naked in bed together".

"You're together?"

"Yes".

"Three people know about me and you Alex", I look at Abbey as I spoke.

"What!" Exclaims Alex.

"Teddy knows and Abbey knew before today, she saw you kissing me at the front door couple weeks ago. She asked me about it, I couldn't really lie and I told her we weren't really having an affair. Unfortunately the front door was left slightly open and Teddy walk through it. He heard me and your sister talking and he confronted me about it and I didn't deny it, hell I couldn't deny it Alex."

"When you say they know everything what do you mean?"

"They know why Amy couldn't find Cassie Dudley room number".

"I promise you I'll never tell anyone Alex unless you say it's okay to do so. What was your wedding like?"

I tell Abbey about Scotland and Alex and I getting married in Vegas. She leaves and we unpack and start the washing machine, then order takeout. In bed that night Alex turns to me, "You should have told me my sister and Teddy know about us."

"I thought I was taking your choice away when to tell people".

"That sentence, it's ironic considering they know".

Do you think Amy can be trusted to keep quiet?"

"I don't know, not only have I cheated on her for years but to add insult to injury, it's with a woman she thinks is beneath her that can't be doing her ego any good."

Wednesday

I go to the pub to grab a bite to eat and all eyes turn to me. I look at the counter to see my mother with my father and they were kissing. "Cassie", my father calls to me as I run out the pub. I empty my stomach, this can't be happening. Why is Steve here, how long as he and my mum been together I wondered.

My uncle Fred comes out the pub after my dad, "Cassie I know what you're thinking but he's changed, he's been good for your mum". I say nothing and empty my stomach again.

"Cassie are you okay", my dad touches my arm.

"Get the fuck away from me, I want nothing to do with you".

"Cassie he's trying" says Fred. "You got to meet him halfway at least".

I ignore them and walk back to the cottage, I'm shaking. I close my front door making sure it's shut properly and start to cry, is this my punishment for having an affair with a taken man. I can't think straight they knew, my mother was seeing him and said nothing to me.

I hear a loud knock on the front door. "Cassie love open up", I hear my mother's voice I open the door and she's standing there with him. "You're not welcoming in my home", I say looking him in the eye".

"If he can't come in then I won't come in".

"You know Meg you could have asked him to leave so me and you could talk but you sided with him. You have always choose a man over me, always".

"He's your father Cassie, I want to see if we can work this time we're both older and wiser. Don't be selfish and begrudge me this happiness".

"How long as this been going on?" I ask my mother.

"Six months", came her reply.

"If I didn't see you two together would you have told me mum?"

"I was leading up to it Cassie".

"What are you still doing here I say to Steve, you're never welcome in my home ever."

He smirks at me, "I hear you're a social worker now it's okay darling. If you're worried about me knowing I don't mind you're still my daughter. Gotta protect those sexually abuse kids right", he winks at me. I lunge for him and mum holds me back.

"I'm staying with Steve, Cassie".

"You and I will have no relationship if you do".

"I'm not giving up my choice to be happy for a selfish brat".

I close the door in their faces and run upstairs to have a shower and scrub where he touched me. I make a start on dinner and cry as I make it. When Alex comes in from work I say hello to him and tell him the food is in the oven.

"Are you not eating with me" he ask.

"I had some already".

"Okay, today was hectic at work there was a fatal crash", as I listen to Alex recounts his day from hell. I ask him if he thought I was a bad person.

"No you're not, what's the matter what's brought this on, is it Amy finding out about us?"

"No, someone said something to me today and I wondered if they were right, it's not like I didn't think the same thing myself".

"Who said something to make you upset, and what was it?"

"Finish telling me about your day."

"I don't think you want me to tell you about my day, I think something is wrong. I know I can be self centred and selfish at times but I do love you and would protect you with my last breath. Tell me what's wrong please".

"Tell me about the little girl, I listen to him tell me about girl he suspect mother was physically abusing her. The heal bones on X-rays they found and how he had to called social services.

We're in bed when I tell him my father was back and seeing my mother again. He goes to cuddle me, but I move over from him. I go to sleep deciding I'm going to walk to the bridge tomorrow for the first time ever.