15

"The internet." Professor Burbage said while moving her wand, spelling the words on the board from a distance. "An invention by Robert E. Kahn and Vint Cerf, two muggles from America. Now, can anyone tell me the year the history of the internet started... yes, Towler."

I turned my head to see Kenneth Towler who had his hand up.

"In the early nineteen-sixties." He said.

"Do you perhaps have an idea of the exact year?" Burbage asked with a small smile, leaning against her desk while she placed her wand down.

"If I'm not wrong, I'd say nineteen-sixty-two." Kenneth said, playing with a curled up paper in his hands.

"You are correct Mr Towler." Burbage spoke. "In nineteen-sixty-two like Mr Towler just said, the scientist J.C.R. Licklider comes up with the brilliant idea for a global computer network."

George reached for my hand under the table and I felt him move my ring around. I glanced at him, seeing how focused he was. He was probably bored out of his mind. I found it exciting. I liked muggle studies.

"Licklider shared this idea with his colleagues at the U.S. Department of Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, also called ARPA and seven years later, an ARPA founded computer network became a reality. Can anyone tell me what happened four years ago in the year of nineteen-ninety?"

I looked around but no one raised their hand so I raised mine.

"Yes, Miss Blossom."

As I took down my hand again, George rested his elbow on the table, putting his chin in his palm as he watched me with a smile.

"Hypertext markup language and the uniform resource locator were developed." I said.

"And what is those also called?" She asked me.

"HTML and URL."

"That's good!" She nodded enthusiastically as she wrote the two words on the board, using her wand. "Right. Now, the wizarding world does not have internet. We can use it if we come in contact with it but we don't have it and no one knows if we ever will. I want to talk a little about the things we have in common with muggles. Does anyone have something to say in that topic?"

This time it was Angelina Johnson who raised her hand.

"Yes." Burbage nodded, pointing the wand at her to allow her to speak.

"Well, most muggle schools in Britain has houses too. They get sorted and have colors. They become your family, your closest friends and just like we do, they compete for the house cup."

"That's true." Burbage said. "Another thing we have in common when it comes to the house system is that not everyone has it. Not all wizarding schools has it and it all muggle school has it so what you're saying, Miss Johnson is true. Yes, Mr Weasley in the back?"

I turned to see Fred with his hand up but he took it down to answer.

"Quidditch is a sport in the muggle world as well." He said. "It's as violent and it's basically the same but it takes place on the ground instead of the air."

"That's right." Professor Burbage smiled. "They even run around on brooms but they obviously cannot fly."

The class laughed and I let out a small chuckle, noticing that George was still staring at me.

'What' I mouthed. He shrugged, biting his lip and I rolled my eyes playfully at him.

"What about you Miss Blossom?" Burbage asked. "You usually have a lot to say in my classes. Do you have any examples of things we have in common."

I looked at Burbage as I sat up straight, clearing my throat.

"Both worlds fight wars." I said. "The muggle world has wars with guns while we have wars with wands and our magic. People get killed everyday in both worlds. People lose their families and their friends. That's something that'll always happen no matter what and in the end, we are all just people, trying to survive 'till the next day."

The whole class went quiet and Professor Burbage watched me while she leaned back against her desk.

The bell in the clock tower sounded, letting everyone know that class was over.

"Alright. I want you all to read up on the internet in the muggle world and write an essay about it. One page should be enough!" Professor Burbage called as everyone gathered their stuff. "Miss Blossom, I'd like a word."

I sighed and turned to George who gave me a small nod. "We'll wait for you outside."

The room cleared and I pressed my books to my chest as I slowly approached Professor Burbage.

"Miss Blossom." She spoke. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." I nodded. "I'm sorry. I got a little carried away."

"That's completely fine, Elizabeth." She smiled. "But I know about your father. I know he died fighting for what was right and with what you said about trying to survive, made me wonder if it had anything to do with him."

"I don't know." I shrugged.

"I knew your father." She told me, making me raise my eyebrows in surprise. "I went to school with him. He always fought for what was right, whether it was about bullies or criminals. He was a good man, Elizabeth."

I smiled lightly, looking down at my feet.

"We're nearing the anniversary of his death." She said and I slightly nodded. "If you ever want to talk, I'm here, okay?"

"Okay." I nodded, looking at her again. "Thank you, Professor."

She smiled at me, motioning towards the door. "Now go. I'm sure your friends are waiting for you."

I turned around and walked out of the room where they in fact were waiting for me. Fred was leaning against the wall, Kathleen standing next to him and George was looking out of the window, watching the snow.

"What did she wanna talk about?" Fred asked, causing George to look at me.

"My dad." I said. "She thought that's what I meant when I talked about war and death."

"Is that what you meant?" Kathleen asked.

"No." I shrugged, starting to walk towards the stairs.

"She's lying." George commented, making me sigh as I turned towards them and they all stopped on the steps above me.

"It's been nearly fourteen years." I said. "He's dead and me sitting here and being sad about it isn't going to bring him back."