7: but that's mad!

The following night, all the houses slept in the Great Hall because the castle was being searched for any sign of Sirius Black who happened to have tried to break into the Gryffindor common room and the Fat Lady had taken flight, and wouldn't retu...

The following night, all the houses slept in the Great Hall because the castle was being searched for any sign of Sirius Black who happened to have tried to break into the Gryffindor common room and the Fat Lady had taken flight, and wouldn't return to her portrait.

Kate decided to talk to Lupin the next morning but he wasn't there. Exasperated, she walked to the Great Hall with Fred and George for dinner who were trying their best to cheer her up and lighten the mood, but nothing seemed to be working because Kate was too preoccupied. What would happen now? Will he be thrown back to Azkaban? When she reached the Hall, She noticed that Harry, Ron and Hermione weren't there and that Professors Snape and Lupin were also missing from the staff table. Odd. It was only after a short while that Dumbledore entered the Hall with Professors McGonagall and Snape.

"Miss Black" he called loudly, Kate shot up from her seat and walked over to the staff table.
"Yes, Professor?"
"We have caught Sirius Black and the Dementors will be performing their Kiss", said Professor McGonagall grimly. Kate looked at them with disbelief, her mouth hung open as no words came out of it.
"Miss Black?"
"But that's mad! You can't—Professor he's innocent!" Kate said indignantly, "it was Peter Pettigrew, he is still alive."
"What nonsense, Miss Black!" said Professor McGonagall, her nostrils flaring.
"Professor Dumbledore, you can't do this" Kate said in a defeated voice. Dumbledore stood, yet again, in silence and beckoned her to walk with him out of the castle.
"Perhaps, you'd like to meet him?" He asked, once they were out of earshot and Kate, without any second thoughts, nodded vigorously. 
"He's in Professor Flitwick's office on the seventh floor, go."

Kate ran to the topmost tower as fast as her legs could carry her, she reached the last step and bucked her knees to catch her breath. And to her utmost surprise, Dumbledore was already there and opened the lock. With trembling legs, she slowly walked over to the office and there he sat on the floor, looking as glum as a person could possibly be, like a ragged doll.

"Uncle Sirius...", she whispered and his head immediately shot up, his eyes widened at the sight as he stood up and moved close. Unable to form words, Sirius's mouth opened and closed, his eyes glistened with tears while his hands hovered over Kate's face who took them in hers.

"Katrina?" he said, "is - is it really you?"

Kate nodded, tears falling down her face as she broke into a smile and nodded again. Sirius enveloped his niece into his arms, kissing her forehead.
"Miss Black, we better leave", said Dumbledore from the door who Kate had forgotten was still there. She broke apart from the hug and looked at Sirius.
"I love you, my dear. Never forget that", he told her.
"I love you, too" Kate croaked and with one last, longing, look at him she left. She ran down the stairs, back to the dungeons and had completely locked herself in the girls' dormitory.

It was around midnight that Professor McGonagall entered the Slytherin common room, looking for Kate because Professor Dumbledore had called her to his office. She sat in the armchair that stood opposite his desk, if she wasn't so upset she would have admired Dumbledore's, circular, office but it was in that moment that he had started to explain to Kate that her uncle, Sirius Black, was no longer captured but was now free.
"So you really mean that? The Dementors won't do anything?" she said brightly after Dumbledore had finished, he nodded and asked her to make a visit to the Hospital Wing.