12: the yule ball

It was a lazy, snowy, afternoon during which Kate sat with Ginny and Hermione under the Beech tree near the Lake, talking about some girly stuff and giggling their heads off

"Come on, Kate. You must fancy someone" Hermione said.
"Is it Montague or Cedric?" Ginny said, wiggling her eyebrows. Hermione and Ginny had already figured it out but they didn't show it because they wanted to hear from Kate that she liked George.
"No, it's none of them, it's...someone else." Kate told them.
"Oooh" they chorused making her cheeks glow.
"So, who is it?" Ginny asked impatiently.
"He's - uh - from Gryffindor and he's just the cutest, funniest, protective and...most amazing" Kate went on describing, picturing George in her head.
"It's George, isn't it?" Hermione grinned and Kate nodded slowly.
"I knew it! I've seen the way you look at him!" Ginny said while jumping up and down.
"Knew what?" said a drawling voice from behind and Draco came into view.
"None of your business, Malfoy" Ginny snapped.
"Shut up, you ugly weasel" Draco snarled.
"Draco, shut up!" Kate shot at him and watched him walk away, scowling.

"So...George'" Hermione began.
"Please, don't tell him guys" Kate added promptly. 
"But-"
"No! Just, don't"
"-okay", Ginny sighed.

In their next Transfiguration class, Professor McGonagall told them all about the traditional Yule Ball where boys and girls would be wearing formal dress robes. The Ball was to be held on Christmas, which was still a few weeks away and everyone in fourth year and above was allowed.
The Halls and corridors were filled with chatter about the Yule Ball and girls would giggle and shriek every time they went past a boy which would make Kate roll her eyes. Her friends Leticia Smith and Arabella Hawkwood, who were usually quite serious faced, were abnormally giggly especially around Kate when she was with Tom.
"Honestly, what has gotten in to you two?" Kate had said, shaking her head.
"Come on, you won't mind, right?" Leticia asked.
"Of course not, go on"

Since the day they got to know about the Yule Ball, it seemed like Cedric was tailing Kate around half his time whenever he saw her or he would just casually come up and talk to her, not that she minded that but found it oddly suspicious.
Kate sat in the Library, completing her work, hair in a messy bun and exhaustion was evident in her eyes which now had shadows around them. She shut her books and decided to go to the Hall after completing her work for lunch.

As she walked, Montague came and placed his arm around her shoulders.
"Hello to you, too" she grinned at him, they talked till they reached the entrance to the Great Hall.
"Would she like that?" Montague asked intently.
"Of course, she will" said Kate who was giving advice to her fellow housemate regarding how to ask Arabella to the Ball. Her eyes immediately landed on Fred and George when they entered the Hall and she wasted no time in walking over to them. She sat down beside George who grinned at her then leaned in and placed his head on top of hers.
"You okay, Georgie? Is this normal behaviour?" Kate asked in a way of fake concern and wrapped her arms around his shoulder.
"You're prettier with your mouth shut" George sniggered earning a smack on the head from her.