32: crystal cave

When she reached the last step of the stairs, it felt like a heavy weight had dropped in her stomach, she couldn't face Mr and Mrs Weasley after last night's events but the weight only lifted a bit when she caught sight of Lupin and made her way to greet him.

"How are you, darling?" Lupin asked quietly.
"I'm all right" Kate nodded, "good morning, everyone". A chorus of morning followed that and then she made her way to the kitchen where Mr and Mrs Weasley stood, immersed in a conversation with each other. She cleared her throat to get their attention, Mrs Weasley's face split into a warm smile at the sight of her as both of them hugged and kissed Kate in a paternal manner which made her feel grateful for having them around.

"Mr and Mrs Weasley, I'm really, very, sorry about yesterday. I shouldn't
have-"
"Oh, don't be silly, dear" Mrs Weasley said while cutting Kate mid sentence and cupping her face, "you don't have to apologise for anything, you're a part of our family".
She engulfed her in another hug, feeling like her words wouldn't ever be able to fully show how appreciative she was of the entire Weasley family. When she pulled away she saw Fred and George walking down the stairs followed by Ron and Harry as she walked towards the table with Mr Weasley to join them for breakfast. At the sight of Kate, Harry's instinct was to go and hug her; they had a special bond with each other, one of a brother and a sister which they didn't even think they would have developed when they met for the first time four years ago.

When they had all settled themselves down to eat, there was a knock on the front door and Kate decided to get it just to be greeted by the Minister.
"It's the Minister, again" she told the others before opening the door to let him in followed by everyone's curious gazes.
"And of what service could we be to you, Minister?" Kate asked in a mock-nice manner which made the muscles on the Minister's face tighten like he had just swallowed some bitter bile.
"You're Regulus Black's daughter?" The Minister said and now it was Kate's expression that tightened.
"Is there a problem with that?" she asked, firmly.
"And your mother?" Scrimgeour asked.

"-they're both dead, and that's all you need to know"
"Was your father in possession of something that didn't belong to him?"
"-beg pardon?"
"I think my question is clear, Miss Black"
"-I think not and he wasn't. So, please, Minister if you are done, I suggest you leave" Kate said tersely, watching the Minister's nostrils flair as he turned around to leave. Kate let out a sigh of frustration, she knew exactly what he was talking about but she didn't understand how Scrimgeour could have possibly known about it and in that moment, she had decided that she would visit the place where her father had died, to destroy what he had died trying to destroy and no one but Kreacher could help her get there. This also led her to conclude that she ought to tell Fred and George about it, after all they were the ones who knew everything about her and decided not to take too long before telling them for they would be leaving for work soon.

The trio sat in Fred and George's room, the twins were confused and curious while Kate performed the Muffliato Charm to prevent eavesdroppers or anyone overhearing them. The boys couldn't wait any longer while Kate was gathering and formulating words in her head as to how to tell them as she made her way to Fred's bed and sat opposite Fred and George who were sitting in George's bed. George held her hands in his comfortingly, giving them a reassuring squeeze while Fred looked worriedly at his best friend not knowing what she had to say, he had never seen her this nervous while telling them something before.

"Kate, it's all right" Fred assured making her nod and inhale a deep breath.
"It's - it's just about my father. I found out this year" Kate paused, "found out how he...died..."
The twins glanced at each other before urging her to continue and she told Fred and George every single detail, the same way Kreacher had told her while the thought of talking about Draco nagged persistently at the back of her head but not doing so, not wanting to worry George.  They listened to her intently as she continued to tell them everything that happened the following year when she was at Hogwarts and they were handling their joke shop.