🖤forty🖤

harry sat at the table smiling down furiously at his phone as he typed away. he was at uni, waiting for his next lecture to begin which wasn't until around another forty minutes. while he waited, he occupied himself with texting zayn. his friends, liam and niall had been sitting there talking amongst themselves, glancing at harry every now and then trying to figure out what was with that shit eating grin he had on his face for the last hour.

harry would stop to make comments here and there whenever he was addressed, then he would be stuck with his eyes glued to his phone again with a big smile, snickering every so often. even though the two friends were suspicious of whom harry was talking to, it was actually good to see him smiling. he's been sad for several weeks after the deaths of their two friends, mitch and nick—harry especially because he was the closest to the two of them, and he took it hard.

so it was really nice to see him smiling, because normally he'd show up at uni in a sullen mood, and have crying spells every now and then whenever the group was together, knowing that two of them left a gaping hole in the group of friends. it was heartbreaking to see harry in that state, and they just wanted him to get back to being himself again. the smiling, laughing boy with the lame jokes. therefore, whatever was getting him smile again, must've been something.

"what are you smiling about over there?" niall asks, eyeing harry suspiciously. harry looks up from his phone, turning his attention to his two friends who were eyeing him. a rosy tint flushes his cheeks as he purses his lips.

"i uh- it's nothing it's just this guy i talk t-" harry starts, but then he's of course cut off as his friends start to bombard him with questions immediately.

"really? who is it? does he go here?"

"do we know him? why didn't you tell us?!"

harry sighs softly, locking his phone as he turns his full attention to them now. "i didn't tell you because, well, actually i never thought of it. it wasn't a big deal, he's just a guy was talked to here and there." he explains sheepishly. niall narrows his eyes, leaning closer to his friend from across the table.

"how long how you been talking to him?" he asks. harry hums in thought.

"maybe around four months i think." harry says.

"are you guys just talking? or are you like talking talking?" niall says. liam rolls his eyes.

"niall, what even is the difference? either they're talking or they're not." he groans. harry snickers, when niall walks his arm and tries to argue that there is in fact a different between the two.

"well?" he inquired again. harry bites his lip, resting his chin in his palm.

"i guess, we're talking talking," he says, smiling lightly. "we've been uh, we've went on a few dates too.." he trails off, blushing at the memories and his friends eyes staring at him in shock and amusement. he shakes his head looking down as he bites on his lip. "but it's not like that, or well i don't know, we haven't really..."he trails off not knowing exactly how to explain this thing going on between he and zayn.

"do you like him?" liam asks softly, soft puppy eyes watching harry as the curly haired male lifts his head to look at them again. harry smiles lightly.

"i- i do. he's really sweet, and strange, but in like an attractive kinda way." harry admits. liam chuckles.

"can't say i'm surprised, you're strange yourself, it makes sense you're into strange guys." liam says. harry pouts.

"i'm not weird."

"mate, you created a whole instagram dedicated to your cat and you post as if your cat is the one doing the posting." liam points out. harry crosses his arms, glaring at liam.

"that's because she is, togepi is very smart i'll have you know." harry argues. liam laughs and harry sticks his tongue out at him playfully. niall rolls his eyes at the two of them, before humming softly.

"i hope he's treating you right. if he's anything like your ex, we're gonna have problems." niall tells him seriously, liam nodding in agreement. harry smiles, feeling flattered at his friend's protectiveness.

"he's not, he's a total sweetheart to me guys, i promise." harry tells them.

"can we see a pic?" niall asks. harry hums, going to unlock his phone, going to zayn's instagram and turning his phone so that they can see the screen. they both look through it, niall's eyes almost bulging out of his head.

"holy shit h, he's fucking hot." niall says jaw dropping in shock.

"i knowww." harry sighs, whining. "that's why i was certain something was wrong with him. no way anyone that hot is interested in me."

"shut up harry, there's nothing wrong with you." liam says glaring at his friend. harry pokes out his lip and pulls his phone back.

"exactly. but even then, still be careful, i don't want to see you get hurt." niall says.

"i know, i'll be careful. everything is going great so far." harry promises with a smile, his two friends returning one as harry looks back down at his phone to finally reply the the unread message from zayn.

"well, as long as he makes you happy i will support. but the first sign of him being a douche, i will kill him." niall promises. harry giggles, nodding.

"okay, dad." harry laughs.

the three friends continue on with what time they have left of their break, before they eventually have to separate and head off to their designated classes. overall, it's been a pretty chill and uneventful day. harry continued through all of his lessons without a hitch, occasionally texting zayn whenever he had a free moment to do so.

he was asked to go on yet another date with him sometime around the end of the day during his last class and of course harry agreed to go. he couldn't deny he really likes zayn and enjoys his company. lately they've grown closer, little hugs formed into short kisses and short kisses into lingering ones that lasted more than just a couple seconds.

there's not exactly any label or anything, but with the way things are progressing between the two, that was certain to change sometime soon. he's not sure how soon, but he could feel that it was quickly approaching. harry didn't exactly have the guts to bring it up himself because he wasn't certain about what zayn's feelings were or what he was thinking, despite the obvious signs.

for now, he'd enjoy this thing he and zayn had and hoped for the best outcome of things.

🖤

it's been a while, tell me what you think. xx